Keeping Outside Contain

Andre

Hey guys!

I’ve been practicing with my Carolina Panthers and was trying to figure out the best way to keep outside contain when there is a tight end(s) on the same side. While the defense doesn’t know what to expect, I usually put the defensive end or linebacker on the outside shoulder of the tight end(s). As a defensive, it works on running plays but when it’s a pass play, the tight end(s) is always jammed an never open. What do you suggest for better gameplay?

image.jpg

I can say for me that the Tight End is an integral part of my offense. In competitive play, they get some of the best bases that I have, so they can knock around a linebacker or become a speed concern to a secondary. 

In Solitaire play, they are based as accurately as possible to their true instincts. However, you should always have someone picking up the TE on each play, that just makes sense. 

Show your TE some love and give them an upgrade on the base. 

• Like 1

Are you asking about a defensive concern (outside contain) or offensive (can't get TE open)?

I put a fast TTC base on the TE.  This allows me to (try to) get him open over the middle or toward the sideline or use him as a blocker on a run play.  Also, I'll often have the TE drop off the line (we use 5 yards in our league) and put the WR at the end of the line.  That cushion gives the TE some room to maneuver.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NO Dave said:

I can say for me that the Tight End is an integral part of my offense. In competitive play, they get some of the best bases that I have, so they can knock around a linebacker or become a speed concern to a secondary. 

In Solitaire play, they are based as accurately as possible to their true instincts. However, you should always have someone picking up the TE on each play, that just makes sense. 

Show your TE some love and give them an upgrade on the base. 

Thanks, you’re right. It does make sense to always have a defender picking up the tight end during every play. 

7 hours ago, zak99b5 said:

Are you asking about a defensive concern (outside contain) or offensive (can't get TE open)?

I put a fast TTC base on the TE.  This allows me to (try to) get him open over the middle or toward the sideline or use him as a blocker on a run play.  Also, I'll often have the TE drop off the line (we use 5 yards in our league) and put the WR at the end of the line.  That cushion gives the TE some room to maneuver.

Ok, thanks. I was looking at it as a defensive perspective. I might have to use the 5 yard rule myself. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TOEPRO Football Kit said:

Coach,

In TOEPRO Football you don’t know the offense’s play, however, the defensive front can shift “over” to cover the tight end either move down the strong linebacker. 

In the offensive formation provided (Ace), a good choice is an “over” DL front with the LBs shifting to the weak. 

Makes sense. Thank you Coach Kit. 

• Like 1