Solitaire Rankings

Andre

Hey guys, 

I’m trying to do my own solitaire league and this is my first season. I have something I use to keep track of stats over the course of the season, but I’m having trouble ranking team stats and player stats. My goal is to see who is leading over the other based on performance. Please share your ideas!!!

• Like 1

Hi Andre,

I'm hopelessly old school. I have a notebook that I jot down each play of every game and keep the play count as I have 8 plays per quarter. At the end of the season, I have in my head the player(s) from each team that should be considered as MVP. I then give them points, positive or negative based on the plays recorded in the notebook. Not a polished system, but I'm not interested in getting too crazy with stats.

• Like 2

Sample Packers Team Sheets.xlsxAndre,

I have been playing a solitaire league for about 57 years and have developed a spreadsheet system for tracking my players through the seasons.  I'm kind of a statistics nerd, and the excel spreadsheet I developed works pretty well for me.   I print the record for both teams for each game and write the results of the plays on the record (carries, yards, completions, receptions, tackles, sacks, etc).  When the game is over I update the spreadsheets, so it is ready for the next game the team plays.  I have 16 teams in my league, so I have separate spreadsheets for each one.  Note the sample shows totals after the Packers first four games.

Sample Packers Team Sheets.xlsx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Davis said:

Hi Andre,

I'm hopelessly old school. I have a notebook that I jot down each play of every game and keep the play count as I have 8 plays per quarter. At the end of the season, I have in my head the player(s) from each team that should be considered as MVP. I then give them points, positive or negative based on the plays recorded in the notebook. Not a polished system, but I'm not interested in getting too crazy with stats.

You have a good point. The more I was thinking about these stats, it just felt like too much. But I do like your idea.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RickLM30 said:

I have been playing a solitaire league for about 57 years and have developed a spreadsheet system for tracking my players through the seasons.  I'm kind of a statistics nerd, and the excel spreadsheet I developed works pretty well for me.   I print the record for both teams for each game and write the results of the plays on the record (carries, yards, completions, receptions, tackles, sacks, etc).  When the game is over I update the spreadsheets, so it is ready for the next game the team plays.  I have 16 teams in my league, so I have separate spreadsheets for each one.  Note the sample shows totals after the Packers first four games.

Sample Packers Team Sheets.xlsx 44.3 kB · 2 downloads

Wow! I was thinking something like this with filters to help sort different players in different areas. 

• Like 1

Well, with Excel, you can sort the info however you like. At the end of the season, I use the stats to select all pro teams for my pro bowl. I have summary sheets that track individual players season totals and career stats as well.  Like I said, I'm kind of a statistics nerd. 😄

3 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Well, with Excel, you can sort the info however you like. At the end of the season, I use the stats to select all pro teams for my pro bowl. I have summary sheets that track individual players season totals and career stats as well.  Like I said, I'm kind of a statistics nerd. 😄

Yeah I was headed in that route. The biggest challenge to overcome is the programming aspect. Did you look online to learn how to put it together?

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:01 PM, RickLM30 said:

Sample Packers Team Sheets.xlsx 44.3 kB · 3 downloads

Rick, 

Love the stat sheets. Very impressive. Even with just my rudimentary stats it takes 2 hours to complete a game which is why I don't go to a more sophisticated stat system because my guess is it would take considerably longer.  How long does it take you to complete a game?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

Rick, 

Love the stat sheets. Very impressive. Even with just my rudimentary stats it takes 2 hours to complete a game which is why I don't go to a more sophisticated stat system because my guess is it would take considerably longer.  How long does it take you to complete a game?

It takes me hours. Sometimes I might do the first half one day and the second half the next day because I have to do everything myself and also I stop the clock after every play so I have time to play the game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andre said:

It takes me hours. Sometimes I might do the first half one day and the second half the next day because I have to do everything myself and also I stop the clock after every play so I have time to play the game. 

I would like to trim the games down to one hour but I don't want to lower the number of plays and I like having some record of each game, so I guess it will remain 2 hours. I also at times play the first half one day, and the second half the next day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

I would like to trim the games down to one hour but I don't want to lower the number of plays and I like having some record of each game, so I guess it will remain 2 hours. I also at times play the first half one day, and the second half the next day. 

Yeah, having some kind of break during the game is helpful. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, Andre said:

Yeah I was headed in that route. The biggest challenge to overcome is the programming aspect. Did you look online to learn how to put it together?

Andre, I was a Department of Defense auditor for 39 years and used Excel for work and my football league for about 30 years, so I had a lot of practice!  🙂  There are a lot of tutorials out there to show you how to use it if you don't feel like experimenting with it. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, Bob Davis said:

Rick, 

Bob, This is going to sound crazy, but it takes me about 2 weeks to play one game.  I'm retired, but my spousal unit keeps me busy, so I only play a few hours at a time.😃  I use a play count of 30 plays a quarter (don't count plays that go out of bounds, penalties, incomplete passes, etc., which would stop the clock. They count for half a play.)  I have a league of 16 teams (four divisions with four teams each) and play 16 games in a season.  The last couple seasons took about 10 years per season and that looks like about right for my current season.  I keep career statistics on every player in my league using the stats from the game sheets summarized on other worksheets that are linked to the game sheets.  I'm on my 7th season since I started in 1966, but originally, I only had 5 teams, which slowly expanded to 16, so my earlier seasons were completed a lot faster.  Being the statistics nerd I am, I like to review the players' career statistics over the years.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RickLM30 said:

Andre, I was a Department of Defense auditor for 39 years and used Excel for work and my football league for about 30 years, so I had a lot of practice!  🙂  There are a lot of tutorials out there to show you how to use it if you don't feel like experimenting with it. 

Oh wow! That’s great! Yes please try. I just started watching tutorials about excel and I am intrigued. This should be an exciting project!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, RickLM30 said:

Bob, This is going to sound crazy, but it takes me about 2 weeks to play one game.  I'm retired, but my spousal unit keeps me busy, so I only play a few hours at a time.😃  I use a play count of 30 plays a quarter (don't count plays that go out of bounds, penalties, incomplete passes, etc., which would stop the clock. They count for half a play.)  I have a league of 16 teams (four divisions with four teams each) and play 16 games in a season.  The last couple seasons took about 10 years per season and that looks like about right for my current season.  I keep career statistics on every player in my league using the stats from the game sheets summarized on other worksheets that are linked to the game sheets.  I'm on my 7th season since I started in 1966, but originally, I only had 5 teams, which slowly expanded to 16, so my earlier seasons were completed a lot faster.  Being the statistics nerd I am, I like to review the players' career statistics over the years.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. It's what works for you. That's the beauty of being the commissioner of your own league. 😁

• Like 3