Pass Interference?

Coach Shawn

Looks like OPI to me.  Defender is headed toward the ball, and the receiver isnt when he runs into the defender, pushing him off the ball.

We also have some issues with calling Pass Interference.  Basically, to get the call, the player who gets interfered has to be (reasonably) headed toward the ball at the time of the foul, and the player committing the interference needs to make contact from the side or behind.

But it's not always so clear cut in game play.  

54 minutes ago, zak99b5 said:

Looks like OPI to me.  Defender is headed toward the ball, and the receiver isnt when he runs into the defender, pushing him off the ball.

We also have some issues with calling Pass Interference.  Basically, to get the call, the player who gets interfered has to be (reasonably) headed toward the ball at the time of the foul, and the player committing the interference needs to make contact from the side or behind.

But it's not always so clear cut in game play.  

Your description of OPI is spot on with ours.  
The first aspect of this play is that it is the defender who runs into the receiver so in most cases it would be DPI.

As you said it does boil down to whether the receiver is still heading for the ball.
Taking the  receivers expected turn into account is where the difficulty lies when determining whether or not he is still “making a play” for the ball.

I had expected this receiver to curve to the left.  He is slow in doing this and I agree that it appears he will miss the ball marker.   But by how much must he miss it to be no longer considered the primary for the pass?

That is the hard question for me.

In your video, I think it's clear OPI because the contact happens farther than a base length away, and the intended receiver runs,not toward the ball, head on into the defender who was headed for the ball.  

If they were both headed towards the ball and bump more than a base length away (coming from spots close to each other), the player who is trailing is considered to be guilty of PI.  But we usually let the board run in this case if the leading player is still headed toward the ball, and if he catches it the penalty can be declined.

• Like 1