My league

I've been playing EF since 1965, and have had an organized 8 team league for 27 years (on and off, occasionally interrupted by military service and relocation).  I have my own unique rules (as, I'm sure, everyone has).  The League is divided into 2 conferences, the "Old" and the "New", reflecting on the time I've added the new teams.  I don't imitate the NFL, or any other pro league - mine is completely within my own imagination.  Over the years, I've expanded the number of players per team, and recently added the "Pro Action Pack" figures as supplements to each team.  Each player has his own identity, manifested by his jersey number, and after a certain number of seasons, the player will have to "retire" and have the number replaced.  Bases are often changed in the off-season, to improve, or just change, certain motion characteristics (I use the "rookie" bases).

Old League             New League

Lancers                   Thunderbolts

Hawks                     Panthers

Titans                      Warriors

Gladiators               Wildcats

Note - the 'Panthers' name pre-dates the Carolina Panthers by several years.  The only recycled name is 'Titans', from the old NY Titans of the AFL.
Each season consists of 9 games for each team, which has, in the past, created timing difficulties trying to get a season in by the end of January.  But I'm retired now, and that concern has fallen by the wayside.  It's an almost ideal hobby which does require any particular skill, except a vivid imagination.

• Like 3

Love reading these stories. I too have my own league. I started 20 seasons ago with 16 seven man teams and now have 32. I have dark and light jerseys. I use the same bases, switching them between home games (dark) and away (light) jerseys. All are based on the NFL.  I have my own rules as well. I keep stats on record, points per game, and the playoffs. I've only had two  undefeated seasons, the Eagles and then the Chargers a few seasons later. They battled each other in the Super bowl a couple of seasons later. Playing this game is a great past time to forget your troubles and just enjoy. Glad to see I'm not the only one playing solitaire!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim, your league is great. I love fantasy teams and leagues. There are hundreds of Cowboys, 49es,  Steelers, Redskins teams out there...... but only 1 Thunderbolts, Lancers or Hawks team. Those teams are unique, which makes them extra special. I can't wait to see pics of them 😊

I'll put some up in the next few days.  Right now, I'm in my off season.  This is when I have my imaginary draft (rookie numbers to supplement, and ultimately replace, existing numbers), rule changes (mainly clarification of existing rules, which I've started to commit to writing), and training camps (changing bases to obtain desired characteristic motion and direction, and repair (primarily replacing numbers and touch-up painting).

In my last Super Bowl, the Lancers defeated the Warriors 27-21, in OT.  This was only the third OT game in my 27 years of Super Bowls, and also the shortest.  The Lancers won on the first play of OT when Lancer RB 41 ripped off an 80 yard TD run (my OT is the old style "sudden death").

My normal periods last 45 minutes in regular time - the closest simulation to actual elapsed time in NFL games I can come up with.  In playoffs and Super Bowls, they run 48 minutes.

I would like to better document (at least Super Bowl) games this year - writing down individual game scores and significant plays.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jim Fitzpatrick said:

I've been playing EF since 1965, and have had an organized 8 team league for 27 years (on and off, occasionally interrupted by military service and relocation).  I have my own unique rules (as, I'm sure, everyone has).  The League is divided into 2 conferences, the "Old" and the "New", reflecting on the time I've added the new teams.  I don't imitate the NFL, or any other pro league - mine is completely within my own imagination.  Over the years, I've expanded the number of players per team, and recently added the "Pro Action Pack" figures as supplements to each team.  Each player has his own identity, manifested by his jersey number, and after a certain number of seasons, the player will have to "retire" and have the number replaced.  Bases are often changed in the off-season, to improve, or just change, certain motion characteristics (I use the "rookie" bases).

Old League             New League

Lancers                   Thunderbolts

Hawks                     Panthers

Titans                      Warriors

Gladiators               Wildcats

Note - the 'Panthers' name pre-dates the Carolina Panthers by several years.  The only recycled name is 'Titans', from the old NY Titans of the AFL.
Each season consists of 9 games for each team, which has, in the past, created timing difficulties trying to get a season in by the end of January.  But I'm retired now, and that concern has fallen by the wayside.  It's an almost ideal hobby which does require any particular skill, except a vivid imagination.

First of all thank you so much for your service. That is awesome that you're broke your league into two divisions I would love to see the stats. That's really exciting!