Clash of the Colleges - Exhibition Games

MK1603

***Please ignore last post not sure how to delete!***

Iowa Hawkeyes V Michigan State Spartans

It is currently half time in the matchup between the Hawkeyes and the Spartans. Michigan State currently up 10-7 at the break

I will be changing boards for the second half. I find my older Miggle board runs smoother and my figures perform better

Although my set up times are now A LOT quicker than what they were when I first started playing EF, I feel for the time being 11 v 11 games are a bit too much. Therefore future games/tournaments will be 8 V 8, taking some inspiration from Arena League and my own rule adjustments. I know if I keep practicing, playing and researching playing with full teams will become second nature. I did enjoy playing 6 man as in my last tournament but I felt my game was lacking options in attack as I had 3 linemen 2 WR/RB and a QB, yeah all players were eligible receivers but sometimes the board just felt a bit empty 😂hopefully the addition of 2 players to my games will bring about more options

The remainder of this current game will remain 11 V 11 though 🙂 

IMG_20211217_183549256_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

We are now 2 plays into the 4th quarter with the Spartans 16-13 up against the Hawkweyes

Iowa took the lead in the third but a 40 yard kick off return by the Spartans followed by great possession and a 5 yard touchdown pass put Michigan State back in charge

Very interesting rest of the 4th to come

IMG_20211220_200614495_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Absolute nail biter in the remainder of the 4th quarter

Hand off to IOW #11 for a fantastic rushing TD from his own 15 yard line. PAT missed. Iowa up by 3

MSS TE receives a 65 yard pass gets it down to IOW 15 yard line. Next play the Spartans QB is sacked for a loss of 10. Hawkeyes then intercept the pass and get it to their own 14 yard line. 

Spartans LB intercept pass intended for IOW RB. Tackled immediately at the 50. Now the last play of the game. Spartans need something big to snatch this. And they came so close!!

Spartans QB throws from the 50, caught by the slot receiver. He has room and charges for the line.....but the Iowa safety brings him down mere inches behind the goal line

Iowa hang on by a thread!! Spartans will be disappointed they were the dominant team for around 3 and a half quarters. But the Hawkeyes punish the Spartans errors and claim the win

Pic of #40 nearly snatching the glory. Moments before he was tackled

Final score:

Iowa Hawkeyes 19-16 Michigan State Spartans

IMG_20211221_195644815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211221_195417876_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

That's gonna be a wrap until probably next year. No more time to play EF between now and the 30th December. May get some gameplay in new year's eve but we shall see

Thanks to all who came and viewed my tournament, left comments and gave advice. I do appreciate it

More games and tournaments on the way. Along with attempting to paint my own figures. So hopefully will open doors for new ideas and other projects!

Merry Christmas everyone and if I don't get a chance to post on there before then....a happy new year to all too 😀 🎄

PS: If anyone gets any cool stuff at Christmas for EF or football in general please post somewhere on the forum would love to see!😋🏈

• Like 3

Auburn Tigers Vs Penn State

This weeks matchup is Auburn V Penn State. Using some recently acquired pre-painted figures so colours may be a bit "off" but I kind of like them as they are. May paint the Auburn helmets white at some point or may keep them blue and use them also as the Virginia Cavaliers. Might also touch up the orange as not overly visible but looks close enough to the Tigers for me, for now! We shall see!

Need to stick numbers on and sort out bases so probably no gameplay until tomorrow. Looking forward to playing EF after a short break. Excited to paint some figures very soon a team that has now caught my eye is Notre Dame, would like to add them to my collection among many others I have planned

Probably wont be as in depth match reports as I would like to play the game without stopping all the time to write notes!

Figures kinda look like what are in attached pics 🙂 

auburn.png

penn s.PNG

• Like 2

Unfortunately not been able to spend much time playing EF in the last few weeks 😞 

So far I have the bases sorted for Penn State. Will hopefully get Auburns done tonight and maybe a bit of gameplay either tonight or tomorrow evening

Will be back to playing and posting regularly really soon :football:

• Like 2

Auburn Tigers Vs Penn State

Penn State take the early lead with an easy 3 play drive. Big 55 yard TD pass to #58 who slips past the defence to the end zone. PAT missed. 6-0 to PEN. 

The Tigers bounce back with a 5 yard TD pass to #83 who was wide open in the end zone. No coverage in the end zone by the Nittany Lions, very disappointing. PAT Good to end quarter

End of the 1st:

Auburn 7-6 Penn State

More to come tomorrow.  Hopefully two quarters of action if I have the time 🤞

IMG_20220111_195920683.jpg

IMG_20220111_195433961.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MK1603 said:

Unfortunately not been able to spend much time playing EF in the last few weeks 😞 

So far I have the bases sorted for Penn State. Will hopefully get Auburns done tonight and maybe a bit of gameplay either tonight or tomorrow evening

Will be back to playing and posting regularly really soon :football:

I know that feeling, it's been a heck of a year already so far! Somehow my entire family (parents and three sisters) caught "the disease that shan't be named" at New Years....except for me, and while luckily they're all doing well and really didn't have much symptom-wise, I definitely got worn out running errands for them. 😆

I'm going to definitely be following this thread though, interested in seeing how a college football league works out. If you're looking for Notre Dame figures, Tutor used to sell these figures called the "Irish Babies" that were a dead-ringer for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.... might be why they stopped, come to think of it. 🤔

• Like 1

Sorry to hear! Hopefully they all get better soon and that you yourself don't get it! Looking forward to seeing your league underway!

Not doing a league as such for now just some games here and there. I may start a league or tournament after I acquire and paint my own figures. Don't have enough teams yet close enough to do a college league. If it was NFL I would have no problem but the college game has definitely sparked more of an interest and inspiration!

LOL....hmmm...well i guess licensing is pretty strict in some cases it is a shame but rules are rules I guess. They could have named it something a bit less obvious😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MK1603 said:

Sorry to hear! Hopefully they all get better soon and that you yourself don't get it! Looking forward to seeing your league underway!

Not doing a league as such for now just some games here and there. I may start a league or tournament after I acquire and paint my own figures. Don't have enough teams yet close enough to do a college league. If it was NFL I would have no problem but the college game has definitely sparked more of an interest and inspiration!

LOL....hmmm...well i guess licensing is pretty strict in some cases it is a shame but rules are rules I guess. They could have named it something a bit less obvious😂

Thanks for the concerns, thankfully everyone has recovered more or less and luckily I work in a small office with one other person with just as little of a social life as me. 😆 I've heard things are getting pretty rough in your area too, so y'all 'n yours take care as well now, y'hear? 😁 (Ok my Southern accent isn't actually that strong.... I hope anyway.)

I guess league wasn't quite the right word, but I like seeing your progress regardless of the term, lol. Especially seeing as to your experience going in a bit....unspoiled....I guess is the word. I grew up with American Football practically from birth (one of my earliest photos is of tiny-baby-me with my Dad as we watched the 'Skins playing on tv) so there's things I probably overlook that you're noticing. Also like that you're going with an 8v8 format as well. I'm trying out my 7 man league for now, but if it absolutely drags I may go to an 8 man for more Offense.

Ha, I think they were actually designed by a fan in a contest or tourney or something that Tudor held. I don't Tudor were being THAT blatant, but who knows? 😆

• Like 2

That's great news! I can say the same about my work, I work in a fairly small team and from what I understand none of them really do much outside of work so risk of infection is pretty low but never zero....had a scare at my job last year and only myself and another colleague were able to work for 10 days while the other 3 had to self isolate, and that was far from enjoyable!😂

Yeah the situation here is a bit frustrating and doesn't help with these so called "leaders" we have over here who seem to want to change plans every 5 minutes along with all the lies told and rule breaking a lot of them have committed, makes it a very tough decision to follow their guidelines or ignore them completely. Just feel it is going to be yet ANOTHER tough year for everyone everywhere....

I think with me having very little exposure to the sport it may be a big factor to why I do find EF and football quite fascinating although there is a ton of sports here the main ones are soccer, rugby or cricket and to be honest I have grown quite bored of what there is to offer here. Played rugby for many years but the passion sadly faded away and wanted to try something new. I have took up both Softball since last summer and since last Sunday I had my first session with the local American football team here the "Berkshire Renegades" so I have turned my focus to the sports more popular in your fine country. Can't wait to learn more about football and actually playing, playing EF, watching games, video games etc will be great tools to expand my knowledge and enjoyment of the sport in general

Playing 8 man  so far is going very well the board does not seem as bare as when I was playing with 6 man teams so I am enjoying the gameplay a little bit more with the 2 extra men at my disposal. And having just the 3 extra men to use as substitutes is also nice rather than having 5 on the side standing there doing nothing, at least now all 11 figures get a decent run out during a game. I am sure your 7 man tournament will turn out well...but if you do decide to go for 8V8 will you have to do all the rebranding of your logos and get new fields printed out??? I would imagine that would become quite expensive as well as time consuming, especially as you have put in such an incredible amount of time and effort so far!

Lol I mean rules are there to be broken I am sure Tudor knew exactly what they were doing and got caught out 😂. I don't envy those guys having NFL and/or NCAA breathing down their necks checking for licensing violations to flex their muscles and maybe try and squeeze a few more bucks out the little man! 😂 shame really I would have definitely purchased those figures 

At the time of writing this Tudor seem to have the white unpainted figures back in stock so if you're in the market for unpainted figures probably would buy now! I assume their supply would be limited though. Sadly may have to postpone my plans for painting figures until probably February/March due to financial reasons. Fingers crossed they are still in stock when I get round to wanting to paint my own 🙂 

• Like 2

That's similar to my job, I work for a company that employs about a dozen people. Much better than my previous 900+ employee job where I felt like a cog in the machine, but definitely sucks whenever someone has to call out, especially as it's only me and the accountant in the office, so if we both go down no one's getting paid. 😬 And yeah it's definitely never zero: I know plenty of people who followed every single precaution and guidance and still got it. It's pretty nuts. 🤔

I know that feeling too, it's pretty much the same way here. I'm not very political anyway (and I strive to keep it that way on here for sure), but I can say after all that's happened I basically feel like they're all a bunch of hypocrites regardless of the position, party, or country- especially with celebrities. Too many times here lately we've seen some leader talk about how we're all in this together and that we all need to keep making huge sacrifices and so on; then the same "leader" getting caught the next day visiting family for holidays, breaking lockdown, not following CDC procedures, etc. so I can see why people are disillusioned right now; I'm way more afraid of the societal reactions than the actual virus at this point. But enough of my rants, back to football. 😁

I do hope you continue to enjoy your Gridiron journey, and it sounds like you're getting a well rounded experience and not just playing some Madden and thinking you're the next Bill Bellichick (looking at you, Brother-in-law 😒). I used to play Soccer from 5th Grade through Early High School, but my ankles got too weak from repeatedly rolling them so I actually joined my football team my junior year as a punter- still kept rolling my ankles and had to hang up my cleats at the ripe ole age of 16 and a half. Hopefully you will have a better "career" than me. 😆 Rugby skills seem to carry over pretty well; I actually went to college with a guy who played on the USA Rugby alternate team and also played Linebacker because we didn't have a Rugby team at the time; I think they have since added a Club Team at least, if not a fully sanctioned NCAA one.

That's a good point about the substitute players getting more play time in 8 Man. It might be possible then to tweak your receivers' bases so that you have them specifically set to go left, right, and/or straight to save set up time. Then you just swap out entire figures with bases instead of wriggling bases on and off figures and/or adjusting and tweaking them repeatedly. I'm considering doing something like that for mine since I'll have 22 figures per team plus 3 TTQBs. Will have to scrap my injury system if so, but then again who REALLY wants guys getting hurt, even fake plastic ones? 😁

As far as fields and such, I can always get another board and field cover specifically for 8 Man. It's only about $29 for the steel and right now my lowest quote is around $40 for the covers....not dirt cheap, but more affordable than I originally thought anyway. I'm already planning on making duplicate Field Goals so I may also get a third field cover down the road that's a traditional 8 yard Dual End Zone setup, if I have to play 8 on my 7 man field it'll just look funny but shouldn't affect anything scale-wise. I could just pretend Quarterbacks don't count and do 8-on-7 style like the proposed World Indoor Football League. Come to think of it, imagine a league where the QB couldn't cross the Line of Scrimmage and only existed for passing.... maybe we'd still have the Manning bros. 🤔

Oh yeah, Intellectual Properties and Licensing are two areas I hope I never have to deal with. Too much gray area, especially with DMCA law and such here in the US, and I've heard the EU (and possibly the UK still?) is even harsher. 😳

Appreciate the heads-up about the figures, I'm already getting a list together to order this weekend along with the motors. It'll probably be my last order for awhile as well. Hope your cash flow picks up, I'm in the same boat, and not exactly looking forward to what Mr. Taxman does to me this March either! 😆

• Like 1

Great posts, guys!! Really enjoyed reading them. Interesting to hear how and what people in other areas of the country and around the world are doing to deal with this situation that just seems to not want to go away. My wife and I have been pretty lucky since we are retired and very rarely even have to go anywhere anymore. We still do but we both have been vaccinated and got boosters and try to follow all the guidelines and obey the mandates. I know that still does not mean we are 100% safe. We have family members who have had and are still getting it. Thankfully no close family member has died from it. My Son-in-Law did get a very serious case of it back in August of last year and was hospitalized for about 4 weeks but thankfully he did survive it. 

Love what you guys are doing with your electric football game play. I tell people all the time that there is no right or wrong way to play this game. The original creator of the game even encouraged people to change or add to the rules as necessary to make the game more interesting, fun and exciting to play. 

I have always said solitaire players are the most creative and innovative people in the game and hobby and always come up with the most interesting ways to play since they are only limited by their own imaginations and don't have to follow anybody else's rules but their own.  

The most important thing is to "just have fun and play the game!!"   

• Like 2

Thanks for your help and kindness as well, Chris. I'm glad to hear you and yours are doing well and recovered as necessary. I'm lucky to have not experienced loss or anyone with any severe reactions so far, but I know plenty of friends who have. I think we'll all get through this in due time; I won't pretend that I know how by any means, but I have hope despite the way things seem at times.

One thing I truly appreciate about this community is the fact that no one here in my experience has ever been like "oh no, that's absolutely wrong. Don't do that, why would you do that?" And etc. Everyone's genuinely interested and appreciative of everyone else's game formats, styles, heck even their team colors and game boards. I haven't experienced any "gate keeping" like every other hobby I've had/have still. I mean I'm sure if I dug far enough and hunted I could find an example, but that's true just about anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to rip your motors off your board, glue your figures to Tech Deck mini-skateboards, and flick them around Subbuteo style, go ahead and enjoy it (and show me your results if you do, because I've briefly considered doing it myself 😆). It's still Electric Football enough for me, lol. "Just have fun and play the game" is truly all that matters. 👍

• Like 2

Good to hear both of you are doing well during these difficult times and hopefully we can all see the light at the end of the tunnel soon with all this virus business!

Totally in agreement about the community! At first I was a bit nervous about asking for help and showing my progress on here and to members I have spoken to privately. I may have come into the hobby and community with the mind set that the community is very cut throat and judgmental by some youtube videos I saw about the hobby the word "gatekeeping" was mentioned a lot. But that has been far from the case!

At tournament level it may be a little bit like this but I wouldn't know for sure. I am more than happy with solitaire as I can do what I want to do without the risk of being yelled at for taking my time. It has taken me 2 hours to get to half time in my current game 😂 and also the fact my partner nor my friends have any interest in playing the game with me (Even offered one of them one of my boards but was swiftly rejected) So in reality I have no choice but to play solitaire anyways 

Always enjoy seeing other peoples figures, boards and other accessories. I do also like reading about peoples rules they have in their games/leagues definitely gives me food for thought when I read things sometimes like what can I add or get rid of in my game to make things more exciting. I have just stopped doing a proper play for PAT attempts, I now just roll a dice to determine if the kick is good. Sadly means no more blocked kicks if going for the 1 point. For 2 point conversions I would still run a play as normal

I have had nothing but help, support and compliments by ALL who have taken time out of their days to view my content and answer any questions I have, to which I am very appreciative for 🙂 

I know Subbuteo did used to produce subbuteo rugby and even cricket, there is a couple of guys on Youtube who have quite a few gameplay videos of their game however neither of them are english so I cannot understand what they are saying. Looks like a good game though! Although it seems like quite a long slog as you have 30 figures to flick around into position. I nearly got my hands on a set on ebay but sadly I just missed out, may add to my collection one day. I mean if subbuteo could produce a rugby game then I am sure that someone somewhere who had the time, patience and skills could quite easily create a Flick American football game of some description. Even seen some people do gameplay videos using Kaskey Kids figures and even Lego stop-motion football gameplay!

• Like 2

Very interesting video. American Football could probably work as a Subbuteo game. But the most interesting thing about electric football is that the players move independently of each other and if you play a multi-stop style of gameplay, you are making adjustments every 2-3 seconds anyway. Which also eliminated the need for directional tweaking.   

I still think Rugby could work as an electric football game and the more I think about it, with a multi-stop style of gameplay, it definitely could work.  

• Like 3

Absolutely, I came here with the same mindset also based on some videos I saw about tournament players along with my limited experience beforehand. I only started playing EF when I was in my mid to late 20s with a couple of college buddies that unfortunately I've lost contact with. They learned it from their Fathers and Grandfathers, so they were very steeped in "traditional" rules and such which isn't a bad thing by any means but also meant they weren't very patient with me when I started out. ("No Paul! You're supposed to stop the board before the pass....you (insert expletive) you can't touch the players when the board is running!" And so on....😆)

I didn't even know Solitaire play was a thing until I saw some YouTube videos from the Fat8 Conference. Living out here in the sticks, solitaire works best for me right now. I'm debating on trying to get one of the guys at work into playing, but I'll probably have to get a traditional board first (or get the Red Zone board and play a few Drives between lunch & smoke breaks....the latter for him of course, not me 😊).

That Subbuteo video looks pretty dope! I don't know enough about rugby to understand everything going on, but that scrum box thing looks absolutely dope! I might have to make or procure one for fumbles or Onside kicks. 🤔

Edited by Paul Kian
  • Like 2

Just had a look on ebay and found a few if you're interested. Not sure it will be worth your time because shipping might be a bit expensive from here to the USA. Maybe you can take it apart somehow and see how it works? Not sure if the scrum box only works with subbuteo rugby balls

If I was good at making things and taking things apart without permanently damaging them I would get this myself and look into it but unfortunately a lot of what I touch does not turn out well. An example for EF, the bases! Already wrecked quite a few and pulled off a few prongs and maybe melted some a bit too much with a lighter 🙈 😂

Subbuteo Rugby Scrummer | eBay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MK1603 said:

Just had a look on ebay and found a few if you're interested. Not sure it will be worth your time because shipping might be a bit expensive from here to the USA. Maybe you can take it apart somehow and see how it works? Not sure if the scrum box only works with subbuteo rugby balls

If I was good at making things and taking things apart without permanently damaging them I would get this myself and look into it but unfortunately a lot of what I touch does not turn out well. An example for EF, the bases! Already wrecked quite a few and pulled off a few prongs and maybe melted some a bit too much with a lighter 🙈 😂

Thanks for the research! Yeah, that shipping is a bit steep for me right now, but it's still better than the $118 full game set I saw for sale on eBay here in the states. 😬 From what I can tell, it's a simple "Octopus" looking system of holes. I could probably make a prototype out of wood down the road.

I'm a pretty good taker-aparter, but not the best putter-back-together-er, so I can comiserate. 😆 I haven't done a lot of base tweaking yet, but I made sure to buy 48 each of the Total Control Bases in Red (Ineligible), Blue (Defense), and Green (Eligible) for when I do. I plan to use the best 7 of each color for all teams, hopefully with a few left over to spare, and any that get totally destroyed shall become Magnetic Bases. If any of you notice me using a lot of Cover-7 Defense, that'll probably be the reason why. 😁

• Like 1

Apologies for being quiet. Life in the real world since Christmas has gotten a bit hectic and have had no time to play any electric football 😞

I have not quit the hobby and once work and my personal life settles down then I will be back playing

Until then looking forward to everyone elses content. I still look at the forum regularly

Will be back soon 🙂

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 5:53 AM, MK1603 said:

At tournament level it may be a little bit like this but I wouldn't know for sure. I am more than happy with solitaire as I can do what I want to do without the risk of being yelled at for taking my time. It has taken me 2 hours to get to half time in my current game 😂 and also the fact my partner nor my friends have any interest in playing the game with me (Even offered one of them one of my boards but was swiftly rejected) So in reality I have no choice but to play solitaire anyways 

Always enjoy seeing other peoples figures, boards and other accessories. I do also like reading about peoples rules they have in their games/leagues definitely gives me food for thought when I read things sometimes like what can I add or get rid of in my game to make things more exciting. I have just stopped doing a proper play for PAT attempts, I now just roll a dice to determine if the kick is good. Sadly means no more blocked kicks if going for the 1 point. For 2 point conversions I would still run a play as normal

Wow! our solitaire play is very similar. 

I usually play a game once a week and my first half at night (3 hours) 😃 and the second half the next morning (3 hours) 😃. I really like to play. 😃

I use two dice for PATs, punts, and Field Goals. The first dice is a D6 and it represents the first number in the yardage. The second dice is a D10 and it represents the second number in the yardage. The smallest possible number is 10 yards and the highest possible number is 69 yards. A PAT is 33 yards so I roll the dice. If the dice come up greater than, or equal to, 33 than the PAT is good. If the dice comes up less than 33, then a defensive player can chose to run the kick out of the end zone (I think that's great fun 🙂 ).

Field Goals work the same way.

Punts work about the same way. I roll the dice and then count yards from the Line of Scrimmage. A 4 and a 7 is a 47 yard punt. If the dice comes up in the tens (10, 11, 12, 13, etc.), well that's like a blocked punt. The punt returner is set up to score.

I like playing solitaire because I don't have to negotiate anything and that's totally different than work. And there aren't any procedure manuals because I carry the rules around in my head. Plus +++++ I'm the coach of both teams so I win either way. 🤩

• Like 3

You know I think 1 game a week at the moment sounds great for me at this present time. Gives me a chance to play and also focus on other things. Think I was cramming so much EF in a short amount of time, that maybe when work got busy I lost a bit of my motivation. Which is a shame because a lot of nights recently I sit there and look at my board all set up and wanting to play but not having the energy to do so. I have so many cool ideas I wanna do and games I want to play. So instead of cramming it all in and trying to do it ASAP I may have to chill out a bit and spread my ideas over a longer period of time to not lose motivation and negatively impact my enjoyment 

Sadly it is much easier to switch on a games console and fire up Madden or NCAA football (which I have been doing recently) but it does not compare to the satisfaction or enjoyment of EF (when things go well) 😂 

As for your method of PAT and Punts I think that is an incredible method and one I may adopt myself or at least give it a go anyway 🙂 sounds like great fun and an added challenge and uncertainty to whether a kick is good or not 

Most of my rules and gameplay are in my head but I have a chart for my dice rolls because I always forget if a kick is good or not 😂 Sometimes I just make rules up as I go along and pick and choose what I want to do 😂

Always nice when both teams are playing good and bases are performing well. Regardless of the team I love it when I see one of my figures catch a monster pass or make a huge rushing gain. Also good to see defence playing well making big sacks and TD saving tackles. Also do like an interception and some fumbles every now and again really spices things up and sometimes flips a game totally on its head 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:59 PM, blue32 said:

Wow! our solitaire play is very similar. 

I usually play a game once a week and my first half at night (3 hours) 😃 and the second half the next morning (3 hours) 😃. I really like to play. 😃

I use two dice for PATs, punts, and Field Goals. The first dice is a D6 and it represents the first number in the yardage. The second dice is a D10 and it represents the second number in the yardage. The smallest possible number is 10 yards and the highest possible number is 69 yards. A PAT is 33 yards so I roll the dice. If the dice come up greater than, or equal to, 33 than the PAT is good. If the dice comes up less than 33, then a defensive player can chose to run the kick out of the end zone (I think that's great fun 🙂 ).

Field Goals work the same way.

Punts work about the same way. I roll the dice and then count yards from the Line of Scrimmage. A 4 and a 7 is a 47 yard punt. If the dice comes up in the tens (10, 11, 12, 13, etc.), well that's like a blocked punt. The punt returner is set up to score.

I like playing solitaire because I don't have to negotiate anything and that's totally different than work. And there aren't any procedure manuals because I carry the rules around in my head. Plus +++++ I'm the coach of both teams so I win either way. 🤩

• Like 3