Card game expansion?

GBPackers68

I'm just returning to this game after a 40 year absence and with the new uni-form figures and NFL/NCAA licensing it just seems odd to me that this game hasn't exploded along with the board game market. Maybe that's just my perception as I know a lot of people who remember playing the game as a kid but they had no idea it still exists.

So what would increase the marketability of the game? I was wondering if there has ever been any kind of card game expansion for electronic football.  Maybe introducing a card stack with boosts or injuries or contract disputes or shoe contracts or some type of monetary boost to improve odds. Maybe some type of tutorial play book?

(Things I think about when editing another boring training video...)

• Like 2

This is an awesome idea coach! I'd love to put something like this into production. If you have some free time, keep developing this idea, I'd love to see a more fleshed out proposal. I could definitely see this bringing in a younger crowd to the game.

We're always looking for passionate Electric Football fans to partner with us to evolve the hobby, for examplehttps://tudorgames.com/passing-sticks-set.html

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, TUDOR - Wyatt said:

This is an awesome idea coach! I'd love to put something like this into production. If you have some free time, keep developing this idea, I'd love to see a more fleshed out proposal. I could definitely see this bringing in a younger crowd to the game.

We're always looking for passionate Electric Football fans to partner with us to evolve the hobby, for examplehttps://tudorgames.com/passing-sticks-set.html

I'm working on it. I have some ideas but will need to play test it over the next couple months. Hopefully with my new Packers & Bears uni-form figures. I suspect it will end up being an off-field expansion that may have bonus power-ups for electric football... things like keeping the fans happy or new stadium packed house might result in bonus 10 yard card being played to improve field position etc. Could also expand to an "adult" version with steroid use, concussions, child support payment lawsuits and violating Covid protocols impacting player effectiveness... I'm sure the NFL and NCAA contractually forbid such things though. 🙂

• Like 2

I think the off-field items need to be related to games on the field. I'm working on a setup that rewards coaches the more that they play. 

So here's the basic premise - You start with a squad of 22. 

8 players for Offensive and defensive linemen start on a green TTC base.

4 skill players get a TTC base as well.

The remaining 10 on the team get "Rookie bases".  

Exhibition Mode - No season, this is a single game 

A total of 11 players from offense and defense get upgraded bases. These are probably Pro Lines. After the game, the bases are removed. 

Season Mode - Plan on playing multiple games and playoffs. 

3 types of bases: Level 1 (Bronze), Level 2 (Silver), and Level 3 (Gold)

Level one bases are the Pro Line version that is tweaked, but nothing is added. 

Level two bases are tweaked for speed and get bumped up to 2.5 grams. Level two strength bases get bumped up to 3 grams. 

Level three speed bases are tweaked for speed and get bumped up to 3.5 grams. 

Level three strength bases are tweaked to move and get bumped up to 4 grams.

Players start the season with 10 credits. The price to upgrade 1 base to level 1 is one credit. The price for Level 2 is two credits, and so on. 

Once these levels are assigned, they will stay with the players for the season. 

Players get extra credits by playing games. A coach can earn up to three credits per game. 

If you win the game, you get 2 credits.

If you lose the game, you get 1 credit. 

Each coach can earn an additional "bonus credit" from the official for a long touchdown, a 3rd down stop, of any other big play. 

Coaches who make the playoffs get an additional 3 credits. 

The coach who wins the league championship earns an additional 5 credits. The coach who loses the big game gets an additional 3. 

Besides using credits to upgrade bases, you can also upgrade your quarterback, kicker, or punter. 

A quarterback could be upgraded to reduce the distance on passing sticks. A short pass attempt would only need to be placed 3 yards in front of the receiver instead of the typical 6, for example. 

A kicker or punter could gain strength or accuracy (determined by dice rolls) using credits. 

The total balance of credits accumulated during a season would be tracked. Each team would have a chance of having an off-the-field incident during the week which would cost a team credits. 

Ideas? If you've played Retro Bowl, this sounds similar.