How to win 70% of your electric football games ...

Agreed. 

I did have some observations.

I don't know Coach Purnell. I read his instructions:

1. Building your offense
a. Your strongest players must be the tackles followed by the guards, ends and center. The left side of the line should turn to the right and the right side of the
line should turn to the left.

His instructions are for a typical 'Snow Plow' offensive blocking assignment. The set up looks like this:

100_4573.thumb.JPG.77dd67be3305035a6b4c5b93c3f4bf7e.JPG

What's the Center suppose to do?  One of two things. Either run through the middle of the defense untouched, Or get barreled over. This video illustrates the fate of the Center.

I would change Coach Purnell's instructions

1. Building your offense
a. Your strongest player must be the CENTER. The center must be a TTC base. The center must be at the maximum weight allowed by your league. The guards should be the next strongest and the pulling tackle doesn't need to be strong at all. The left side of the line should turn to the right and the right side of the line should turn to the left.

I call this "Plowing Snow into the Ditch."

100_4575.thumb.JPG.be67bac11b954c703eaacc247bac3e29.JPG

When TE #93 and weak tackle #76 run backwards they create a ditch that the offensive line can push the snow into.

I rarely use the 'Snow Plow' blocking scheme anymore. I pull the Tight End and Weak Tackle in every formation: Single-back, Proset, Power I (illustrations), Up back, and T-formation. Coach Purnell and I do agree on one thing: We run the ball 90% of the time.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 4

I’m in a game at present where interceptions will more than likely be a huge factor in the outcome. Running the ball in Stop Forward Progress play is exciting but I really enjoy a well executed pass play as well! The style of play I have adopted based on Coach T43’s model is very satisfying. It may not be for everyone, but I have a blast and look forward to every game I play. One cannot ask for much more.

Journey On!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, Terry43 said:

Uh, Coach? I hate to be the official who calls back a touchdown after a lengthy review up in the booth (the fans hate that), but the ruling on the field should be overturned since the left defensive tackle definitely makes contact with the front of his base on the running back after a short gain. It happens at the 16 second mark :referee:

Otherwise, it was a brilliant call and perfect execution. (Maybe now we know who the Center was supposed to block. 🤫

Edited by BlueHen
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlueHen said:

left defensive tackle definitely makes contact with the front of his base on the running back after a short gain.

Thank you. However, I don't play touch tackling.

I use stop-forward-progress tackling. The definition of tackling is: "In American and Canadian football to tackle is to stop the forward progress of a player in possession of the ball." From the NFL Football Operations, "The point on the field where the forward momentum of a player who is in possession of the football is stopped by a defender or by going out of bounds. 

Bumping into the ball carrier with the front of the base is only effective IF it stops the ball carrier's forward progress. It didn't. Result: no tackle. Ref BlueHen has to pick up his flag and the Touchdown stands.

For more examples of stopping Forward Progress Tackling try searching the Forum with those words: Stop Forward Progress Tackling.

23 minutes ago, BlueHen said:

(Maybe now we know who the Center was supposed to block.

The center was adjusted to run straight to illustrate the problem with Will Purnell's system. 

Enjoy the Journey    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Thank you. However, I don't play touch tackling.

I use stop-forward-progress tackling. The definition of tackling is: "In American and Canadian football to tackle is to stop the forward progress of a player in possession of the ball." From the NFL Football Operations, "The point on the field where the forward momentum of a player who is in possession of the football is stopped by a defender or by going out of bounds. 

Wow. Well, I knew you're creative and unique in your approach, but I confess I didn't even realize the stop-forward-progress tackling was a thing....

I definitely like the idea because sometimes it seems impossible to run the ball otherwise, and I do love being able to run effectively. Thanks for the idea. 💡

2 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Ref BlueHen has to pick up his flag and the Touchdown stands.

"Please disregard the flag. The ruling on the field stands as called. Touchdown" 

Edited by BlueHen
  • Like 3