Another idea to determine stick passing

Thumbing thru my EF notebook I came across an old idea I had.

it is an alternate way to determine what ball placement stick you will use.

Instead of using the distance from QB to Receiver you will have to use your Triple Threat QB to throw the ball at a target.

1. First place target the same distance from the QB that the receiver is.
  2. Use QB to throw the ball to strike the target.  
  3. A bullseye awards a Red stick for ball placement.
  4. Striking the next ring awards a White Stick for ball placement.
  5. Missing the target means a Blue stick is used.
  6. Now using the determined stick, and adding the pressure distance if appropriate, run the play as per usual stick passing rules.

The target was to be made with two tubes.  A large tube for the White stick outer ring snd s smaller tube inside that to be the Bullseye.  Hopefully the tubes would “catch” the ball and make it easier to see the correct hit. I never decided on the size of the tubes.  The distance of the QB from the target would be a big factor in  what you could hit.

I never actually tried this.   But it would allow for interesting results.

• Like 3

Sounds much like a variation of the Buzzball ATTAC passing method which is basically placing at target at the end if the sticks and using a TTQB to hit the target first then proceeding to have the receiver and defenders run towards the ball.

This was used in the National High-Voltage Football League in the mid 2000's. 

ATTACPassing.thumb.jpg.c38506bda58c693f1ae87acc951beedf.jpg

2005 NHFL Rules.pdf2005 NHFL Rules.pdf  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nefgm.org said:

Sounds much like a variation of the Buzzball ATTAC passing method which is basically placing at target at the end if the sticks and using a TTQB to hit the target first then proceeding to have the receiver and defenders run towards the ball.

This was used in the National High-Voltage Football League in the mid 2000's. 

ATTACPassing.thumb.jpg.c38506bda58c693f1ae87acc951beedf.jpg

2005 NHFL Rules.pdf2005 NHFL Rules.pdf 6.57 MB · 0 downloads  

Yes.  My idea was inspired by those QB’s with rocket arms.   Bullet passes deep downfield.   
using my target idea you could end up with a 40 yard red stick pass or even a 5 yard Blue stick pass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

I did not know that Buzzball came up with that approach.   Did buzzball also originate stick passing?

• Like 1

I assumed the idea for passing sticks came from miniature warfare tabletop games. This is a quote from the BoardGameGeek Forum,

"Lately there seems to be a trend away from grid maps back to unmarked terrain and the venerable Little Wars ruler, but I'm puzzled about what you do when the measurement is ambiguous, especially as the distance between two minifigs isn't a super well-defined concept to start with (base to base, or head to head, etc..?). A thought that has occured to me (and no doubt others) to avoid disagreement is to have a little grid map for precise movement and ranging, using the terrain board simply as an approximate display to add to the sense of reality, fun, and tactical thinking."

Recently I've seen electric football videos where they use spring loaded devices. Remarkably, spring loaded devices go all the way back to 1913 and that little game called Little Wars. H.G. Wells (yes, the science fiction writer) wrote the instruction booklet.

Wells references a cannon that,

“The beginning of the game of Little War, as we know it, became possible with the invention of the spring breechloader gun. This priceless gift to boyhood appeared somewhen towards the end of the last century, a gun capable of hitting a toy soldier nine times out of ten at a distance of nine yards, It has completely superseded all the spiral-spring and other makes of gun hiterhto used in playroom warfare. These spring breechloaders are made in various sizes and patterns, but the one used in our game is that known in England as the four-point-seven gun. It fires a wooden cylinder about an inch long, and has a screw adjustment for elevation and depression. It is altogther an elegant weapon.”

H.G. Wells references the inch-long wooden cylinder in his instruction booklet.

"(6) When men are knocked over by a shot they are dead, and as many men are dead as a shot knocks over or causes to be knocked over. But if a shot strikes a man but does not knock him over, he is dead, provided the shot has not already killed a man. But a shot cannot kill more than one man without knocking him over, and if it touches several without oversetting them, only the first touched is dead and the others are not incapacitated. A shot that re-bounds from or glances off any object and touches a man, kills him; it kills him even if it simply rolls to his feet, subject to what has been said in the previous."

Note the drawings of the inch-long cylinder hitting a man, or men. Does this remind any coaches of drawings in electric football instructions and rules manuals?

image.png.b05a22aeb7ca3412c190cb37a4ad60b2.png

Enjoy the Journey    T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 3