Browns at Colts (AFC Championship)

DAA8E21F-AEBB-4AE4-B0FD-C4A7B87A8F57.thumb.jpeg.bb9e1793af1f2998bce481dffe45ad41.jpegGoing Into the last week of the season, the Browns seemed like a very unlikely team to be one hand away from the SuperBowl.  They had just been dominated by the NFC West champion LA Rams.  And, they were facing the NFC North division champ Steelers in the final week.  Then, Jerome Ford caught fire.  He rushed for 153 yards and scored 2TDs en route to a 41-36 victory over Pittsburgh.  In the Wildcard round, Ford rushed for 123yds and a TD.  The Browns upset the #2 seed East division champ jets 42-42 in another high scoring affair.  In the Divisional round, Ford had his biggest day of the season, 194yds and 2TDs.  The Browns defeated the #1 seed South division champ Jaguars 28-26.  

The Colts come into the game with ghe 2nd best record in the AFC, though they were a wildcard.  Their defense has been suffocating.  Their line abc CBs are dominate, and their safeties fly to the ball.  They’ve allowed 10 points to the Steelers and 7 points to Ekelar and the Chargers.  Jonathan Taylor is a MVP candidate and has carried the load all season.  

The Browns won my 3rd SuperBowl (1979) against the Cowboys.  The Colts won my 4th SuperBowk (1981) over my beloved Packers. One of these teams is headed to their second SuperBowl.

Vegas line Colts -5.5  Over/Under 33

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 2

• nefgm.org changed the title to Browns at Colts (AFC Championship)
1 hour ago, Long island EFL said:

Excellent write up I think I'll go for the Colts but the browns are tough and unpredictable

Thank you.  I like writing them up.  Helps me appreciate the journey of each team 

• Like 3

The Colts have a 7 play drive stopped at the Browns 14 and missed a chipshot FG.

The Browns take over.  On 3rd down, they  are forced to use a play they were keeping in their back pocket.  A little swing pass to Hunt (who misses the block on purpose) that takes advantage of the Colt’s blitz.  It’s designed to go for big yardage.  But, the Colts are in prevent and it only goes for 20 yards.  

Browns 10 Colts 7 at the half.

• Like 2

The Colts get the ball to start the 2nd half.  The Browns seem to have finally adjusted to the Colt’s run game, allowing Taylor only 6 yards on this drive.  But, in doing so, they are  giving QB Anthony Richardson a lot of time and letting receivers get open.

Richardson hit Alec Pierce for 11 yards, Michael Pittman for 21 yards.  Finally, Richardson gets so much time that TE Jelani Woods gets wide open in the secondary and scores from 19 yards.

Colts 14 Browns 10

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ford breaks one off for 18, another for 10.  Then he loses a yard before catching a pass in the flats for 5 yard.  Then on 3rd & 6, Ford and Hung hold their blocks on the viscous blitz game of the Colts.  Watson finds TE #85 Njoku 20 yards down the field and he scores.

Browns 17 Colts 14

10 seconds to go in the 3rd.

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 1

What’s interesting about this year’s playoffs is that you see little factors make the difference.   I would have expected the Colts to dominate this game, but little things like protecting against the Colts blitz, make a huge difference.  Elijah Moore getting past Brents and going 62yds  was a huge surprise.  And, the Colts missed a chipshot FG.  These things are adding up.  I still think the Colts are the favorite, but one bad mistake good cause this to go the Brown’s way.

• Like 2

The Browns are driving.  Watson keeps it for 7 yards, Hunt gets a screen pass, then this beautifully drawn up play.  Ford and #95 make the block on #1, while Hunts turns it up field (with a little assistance from #8 Elijah Moore) for 17 yards.

• Like 1

Another Colts stop.  On 3rd & 9, the CBs do their job.  The pressure on the QB forces Richardson to throw to Hunt #27, who can make anything happen.  Less than a minute to go.  The Browns have all 3 TOs.  They need to force a mistake.

• Like 1

Watson is sacked.  With no timeouts to go, Watson is backed to pass.  Pass protection codes through again.  Hunt turns #1 inside, while Ford holds up the older blitzed just enough to get out in the flats.  48 yard TD.  

Browns 24 Colts 21

24 seconds to go.  The Colts have 2 TOs and need a FG to go to OT.

• Like 1