I wanted to try the magnetic field covers — but I didn't really want an NFL or college field cover — so I set about customizing a Michigan State Spartans magnetic field cover.

300 is one of my favorite comic books (Frank Miller) and movies (Zach Snyder). So I decided to use the art work from both to create my custom magnetic field cover. 

100_4075.png.ce15d8b98cd69c5cabb8cf10e41e1dae.png 

My first step was to scrub away SPARTANS from both End Zone. I used a regular wet, dishwashing sponge.

100_4077.png.f92cbedcb26a8ed15ee7d3bd54a4bbcd.png

The Tudor ink, or Tudor acrylic paint, or whatever it is, came off very easily. Too easy actually. I suspect it will be susceptible to scratching.

100_4078.png.9788865e3ad765985cda4f18f43695e3.png

Then I wiped away the debris with just a paper towel.100_4081.png.1256a8d46f6b4bc8d82de584e85513ba.png

In about the length of time it takes to have a molar pulled and a titanium implant screwed into my jaw, the End Zone was mostly white.

Yes, I know from experience. Tuesday was NO FUN.

100_4088.png.b93263f84cf9eac5a3979f977a07e302.png

I masked off the End Zone and splattered it with Liquitex acrylic ink like the Movie Poster for the movie the 300.

100_4093.png.792bab88619acd266f823adf94c93c49.png

I created a stencil for the 300 and used a red Sharpie to write 300 on the magnetic vinyl.

100_4110.png.175e529046291679a93be8c92518c8a4.png

I thought it came out okay.

100_4097.png.2f8c22277c6ec520a9d21e5c7c97bf4f.png

Then it was time to do the other End Zone. I chose those wonderful words from King Leonidas as he is kicking the Persian Messenger into the well.

100_4118.png.7d2e2c157391ba50d2e2e5752408cf9d.pngJust like that I have my custom magnetic field cover.

This is kind of the 'Chicken or Egg' question. Which came first the 300 electric football field or the team called the 300?

For right now there isn't an 300 electric football team but I'm sure I can remedy that. 😉👍 I will play out the remainder of my 2024 Draft games on the 300 field.

Enjoy the Journey.  T43  🏈♾️

• Like 4

Holy Cow, man! That is just about the coolest reimagining I’ve ever seen! That car guy the Count has absolutely nothing on you! 
You know, it’s amazing. You get ready to go to bed, and you think, “I’ll just check in on the Forum to see if anything interesting is new.”, and I get this!

Excellent work Coach T.!  I can’t wait to see some of the games highlights from this field!

Journey On!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Daryl Collins said:

I can’t wait to see some of the games highlights from this field!

I ran into a bit of a puzzler. 🤔 The magnetic field cover is acting like a damper. The players are running  a lot slower. 

I'm still planning to play my next game on the 300 field cover. 😃👍

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.     🏈♾️

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:09 PM, Terry43 said:

I wanted to try the magnetic field covers — but I didn't really want an NFL or college field cover — so I set about customizing a Michigan State Spartans magnetic field cover.

300 is one of my favorite comic books (Frank Miller) and movies (Zach Snyder). So I decided to use the art work from both to create my custom magnetic field cover. 

100_4075.png.ce15d8b98cd69c5cabb8cf10e41e1dae.png 

My first step was to scrub away SPARTANS from both End Zone. I used a regular wet, dishwashing sponge.

100_4077.png.f92cbedcb26a8ed15ee7d3bd54a4bbcd.png

The Tudor ink, or Tudor acrylic paint, or whatever it is, came off very easily. Too easy actually. I suspect it will be susceptible to scratching.

100_4078.png.9788865e3ad765985cda4f18f43695e3.png

Then I wiped away the debris with just a paper towel.100_4081.png.1256a8d46f6b4bc8d82de584e85513ba.png

In about the length of time it takes to have a molar pulled and a titanium implant screwed into my jaw, the End Zone was mostly white.

Yes, I know from experience. Tuesday was NO FUN.

100_4088.png.b93263f84cf9eac5a3979f977a07e302.png

I masked off the End Zone and splattered it with Liquitex acrylic ink like the Movie Poster for the movie the 300.

100_4093.png.792bab88619acd266f823adf94c93c49.png

I created a stencil for the 300 and used a red Sharpie to write 300 on the magnetic vinyl.

100_4110.png.175e529046291679a93be8c92518c8a4.png

I thought it came out okay.

100_4097.png.2f8c22277c6ec520a9d21e5c7c97bf4f.png

Then it was time to do the other End Zone. I chose those wonderful words from King Leonidas as he is kicking the Persian Messenger into the well.

100_4118.png.7d2e2c157391ba50d2e2e5752408cf9d.pngJust like that I have my custom magnetic field cover.

This is kind of the 'Chicken or Egg' question. Which came first the 300 electric football field or the team called the 300?

For right now there isn't an 300 electric football team but I'm sure I can remedy that. 😉👍 I will play out the remainder of my 2024 Draft games on the 300 field.

Enjoy the Journey.  T43  🏈♾️

Terry which is a better field cover the magnetic or the other? Which do you recommend?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

Which do you recommend?

I recommend the, "peel and stick vinyl." My experience with the peel and stick vinyl has been excellent.

The problem I'm having with the magnetic field cover is illustrated in the following two videos.

The first video is my straight-from-the-factory Ultimate field with two Tudor motion generators. The little plastic peep is #46 my MVP of my Fruit Bowl.

Here is #46 on the 300 magnetic field cover on top of my Ultimate field.

The 300 magnetic field cover muffles the Buzzzzz of the motion generators (which some long-suffering loved-ones might appreciate) but it also affects the speed and straightness of #46.

It's worth noting that the first video takes only 10 seconds for the 100 yard dash. The second video takes about 4 seconds just to reach the 25 yard line.

I tried five of my best Kickoff Returners on the 300 magnetic field cover and the results were similar. The little plastic peeps moved about half-as-fast and turned rather than running straight. So now I'm thinking I won't use my 300 magnetic field cover for the remainder of my games.

Tudor states this on their webpage, "Why use a Field Cover? Field Covers are great for two reasons. First, they deliver an authentic NCAA experience. You'll feel like you're playing on the real college field! And second, they often improve the performance of your board ...Also suitable for framing." I think I will frame mine.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

22 minutes ago, Terry43 said:

I recommend the, "peel and stick vinyl." My experience with the peel and stick vinyl has been excellent.

Here's a video of my Peel and Stick Vinyl field cover. Different Ultimate board but the same two motion generators.

No difference as far as I can tell.

Enjoy the Journey.     T43.     🏈♾️

Wow, Coach T.! At your expense, I have learned something very valuable! Peel and stick it is. I’m so disappointed for you. I had hoped to see a good game on the 300 board. Still, that thing is a work of art! My son, who is not a sports fan of any kind, but loves the movie 300, is going to love it! Frame that bad boy!

Journey On!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Daryl Collins said:

I’m so disappointed for you.

Not to worry. I had the enjoyment of the artistic  journey. 😃👍 

9 minutes ago, Daryl Collins said:

My son... loves the movie 300

300 isn't thoughtful like the movies Love Actually, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Remember the Titans , but it has an extreme heroic, wise-cracking feel that I enjoy. Kind of like Schwarzenegger's first Conan movie.  "No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important!"

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry43 said:

The problem I'm having with the magnetic field cover is illustrated in the following two videos.

The first video is my straight-from-the-factory Ultimate field with two Tudor motion generators. The little plastic peep is #46 my MVP of my Fruit Bowl.

100_4151.mov 9.5 MB · 0 downloads  

100_4149.mov 7.77 MB · 0 downloads  

The 300 magnetic field cover muffles the Buzzzzz of the motion generators (which some long-suffering loved-ones might appreciate) but it also affects the speed and straightness of #46.

It's worth noting that the first video takes only 10 seconds for the 100 yard dash. The second video takes about 4 seconds just to reach the 25 yard line.

I tried five of my best Kickoff Returners on the 300 magnetic field cover and the results were similar. The little plastic peeps moved about half-as-fast and turned rather than running straight. So now I'm thinking I won't use my 300 magnetic field cover for the remainder of my games.

Tudor states this on their webpage, "Why use a Field Cover? Field Covers are great for two reasons. First, they deliver an authentic NCAA experience. You'll feel like you're playing on the real college field! And second, they often improve the performance of your board ...Also suitable for framing." I think I will frame mine.

Thank you so much Terry that was such a wonderful well written help for me I really appreciate it. Can't thank you enough

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terry43 said:

100_4151.mov 9.5 MB · 0 downloads  

100_4149.mov 7.77 MB · 0 downloads  

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the field cover from? I'm shopping around and asking all of you experts for different viewpoints on this covers because I think I ruined the game that I like by cleaning it with a sponge with a scrubby on it scratch the game and I did that without thinking when I should have been thinking. So now I need to cover for my field.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the field cover from?

On the menu at the top of the page select TUDOR SITE.

Then on the Tudor webpage select Customize.  >> Field Covers

There are three options. NFL Field Covers, College Field Covers, and Custom Field Covers. 

53 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

cleaning it with a sponge with a scrubby on it scratched the game

You could scrub the whole surface until it looks like a Snow Field. Or a baseball diamond.

Or scrub the whole surface really well and make your own custom field. Maybe the profile of a '57 Chevy, or the NY Skyline, or a Royal Flush in poker.

The future is opening up before you. 😃👍

Enjoy the Journey   T43    🏈♾️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry43 said:

There are three options. NFL Field Covers, College Field Covers, and Custom Field Covers. 

You could scrub the whole surface until it looks like a Snow Field. Or a baseball diamond.

Or scrub the whole surface really well and make your own custom field. Maybe the profile of a '57 Chevy, or the NY Skyline, or a Royal Flush in poker.

I'm not a fan of New York I can't wait to get it out of here in town to my house in Florida. LOL.

I think I will just customize but the most important thing is this type of field so the vinyl field sounds perfect.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Terry43 said:

The speed dial on the old model 600 boards is what I'm worried about how do you actually fit the vinyl cover on with the speed dial do you have to cut it? Sorry for the questions.

• Like 1

Just now, Long island EFL said:

The speed dial on the old model 600 boards is what I'm worried about how do you actually fit the vinyl cover on with the speed dial do you have to cut it? Sorry for the questions.

Or is there an opening on the vinyl cover that allows for the cover?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

It would have to be cut. 

• Like 1

I would apply the cover first then cut out the hole. Be sure to download the vinyl field cover install instructions and watch the install video on Tudor's website. This will work with any vinyl field cover whether you get from Tudor or not. If it is a magnetic cover, same thing, lay down the field cover first then find the hole and cut it out.

Basically, field covers are designed to use on custom game boards and newer model Tudor Games produced after 2012. 

• Like 2