TAP

Daryl Collins

I am intrigued by the TAP rule where the offense plays in dark jerseys and the defense plays in white, or some lighter color. This would help me keep the player’s positions separated and, also, seem to add some pageantry to the game. It would eliminate the need for home field v.s. Visitor on a neutral field. I like the idea of breaking out both light and dark squads to get more use of them, instead of waiting to break out each team for an individual matchup. 
What say ye, coaches?

Journey On!

• Like 1

Hi Coach Daryl. 

It's a novel idea and I believe the thoughtfulness expressed in the opening statement is the best reason.

This allows for dark jersey vs white jersey play in every instance which helps color-blind coaches like me!

But I doubt it's necessary to aid color blind coaches. The teams are painted with different details.

I believe swapping home/away jerseys diminishes the game because the best players should always be on the field, and they are not.

On any given team there are always one or two plastic peeps who are stronger than all the rest. These stronger players should play the whole game on offense, defense, and special teams. Plastic peeps don't get exhausted, or injured so there's no reason to prevent them playing the whole game.

I'm going to repeat myself because the point is the same for speed.

On any given team there are always one or two plastic peeps who are faster than all the rest. These faster players should play the whole game on offense, defense, and special teams. Plastic peeps don't get exhausted, or injured so there's no reason to prevent them playing the whole game.

So, why not swap bases on change of possession?

Because the combination of base and figure is unique. All coaches have experienced the frustration of trying to get a really strong or fast plastic peep to be equally strong and fast with a different figure.

As for the neutral field, when was the last time you tried calling an electric football audible with 83,000 scream fans surrounding you?

I'm with the Miami Dolphins and the Dallas Cowboys, always wear your favorite uniform.

While we are on the subject of TAP. Early on Bryan Beenutt writes:

NOTE: If you are looking for a more relaxed social method of playing, I recommend using the number of play method it is not timed and more relaxing and social. You can get a soft drink or go to the bathroom between plays.

Then later he writes:

Once the players are separated, the offensive coach must fully lineup his team in less than 40 seconds.

Which is it? Line up the players in 40 seconds or go to the bathroom? I'm 67 and this is a real quandary for me.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 2

Got to make it to the john! I appreciate those coaches who play by the clock. As I have adapted much of Coach T 43’s methods of play, I have also done things that line up better with how I want to play. I use the number of plays per game, I use a stationary player occasionally, and I only use one team per side per game. I have seriously considered passing sticks, but I really enjoy the shorthand of dice. 
I totally appreciate TAP rules and if I were to play with other coaches who wanted to use said rules, I could adapt quickly, I think. I play solitaire and absolutely enjoy myself. I also enjoy the other coaches who post and their myriad styles. There are some brilliant coaches out there!

There’s new content being posted weekly, and though I may wish for certain things that probably never will happen, this life is too short not to try and enjoy and get excited about what we do have. It’s always interesting. 

Journey On!

Offense in Dark and Defense in white is not new. it is a requirement that has been in league and tournament play, for a number of years. Not sure exactly when it started, I would have to research that.  

The MFBCS and TOC allow up to 60 players on a team's roster. At one time on kickoffs, the kicking team had to be in white jerseys and the receiving team had to be in dark jerseys.  They now allow special teams units, to be a mix of white and dark jersey players. 

• Like 1