Defense on solitaire

Greg F

7 minutes ago, Greg F said:

easily go all the way on a short pass

Bump them hard at the line of scrimmage and then two deep safeties (Tampa Two).

If your weight limit is 4-grams then put your 4-gram cornerbacks right up on the line of scrimmage. Hit those wide receiver so hard they're drawing breath through their earholes. Same strategy for the running backs using 4-gram linebackers.

Football is a contact sport. 💥💫

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you stick passing?   Also what are your pivoting rules?  

I use stick passing and so My advice is based on that.   For stick passing against a fast team I make sure l have two good loopers to force the coach to keep some of his attention on the blitz.  Also this should limit his time to run the board and hopefully stop him from moving his receivers to the gaps.

I bump his top receiver at the line but all the rest I play zone.   My goal is to put defenders into each area of the field, anticipating where his men will go.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest problem is when it’s a check down to a RB.  The loopers come in and force an early throw.  The WRs are still mostly covered, so the RB gets the hall in the flat.

i pivot the ball carrier and all the players on defense that aren’’t engaged.  All bases are very well tweaked,   But, I’ve had quite a few 60, 70, 80 yard TDs by getting the hall to the RB in space.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Greg F said:

But, I’ve had quite a few 60, 70, 80 yard TDs by getting the hall to the RB in space.  

In this case I would keep my loopers going in for the QB and have my LB’s slant out to cover the flats.  This leaves your center a little exposed though.   You could also have your loopers go after the RB’s instead but this will allow your opponent more time to choose his moment to stop the field.  
sometimes I have my CBs turned to drop back deep and have my safeties turned to move toward the line.  Practice this so your safeties hit the LOS about the time the RBs fo on a sweep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, Coach Shawn said:

In this case I would keep my loopers going in for the QB and have my LB’s slant out to cover the flats.  This leaves your center a little exposed though.   You could also have your loopers go after the RB’s instead but this will allow your opponent more time to choose his moment to stop the field.  
sometimes I have my CBs turned to drop back deep and have my safeties turned to move toward the line.  Practice this so your safeties hit the LOS about the time the RBs fo on a sweep.

Starting to get it with these different maneuvers.  I’ve always used some, but I’m playing with a different level of base this year.  

• Like 3

On 9/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Terry43 said:

Bump them hard at the line of scrimmage and then two deep safeties (Tampa Two).

If your weight limit is 4-grams then put your 4-gram cornerbacks right up on the line of scrimmage. Hit those wide receiver so hard they're drawing breath through their earholes. Same strategy for the running backs using 4-gram linebackers.

Football is a contact sport. 💥💫

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

All very good advice. Like Terry, I use the 2 safeties. I mentally declare what yard line they're standing on and take them off the board. When receivers threaten to pass the line, or if the offense wants to attempt a short pass or if the QB scrambles passed the line of scrimmage, I stop the action and make a decision whether to put one, both or neither back on the board at the predetermined spot. They are allowed to be placed in any direction to maximize the coverage and stay with the potential receiver or make the tackle. After that though, no more pivots for DBs or receivers. 

Edited by Bob Davis
  • Like 5

On 9/14/2023 at 9:37 AM, Greg F said:

My biggest problem is when it’s a check down to a RB.  The loopers come in and force an early throw.  The WRs are still mostly covered, so the RB gets the hall in the flat.

i pivot the ball carrier and all the players on defense that aren’’t engaged.  All bases are very well tweaked,   But, I’ve had quite a few 60, 70, 80 yard TDs by getting the hall to the RB in space.  

Quite honestly Greg it sounds like your blessed with having such good bases for your players. It's a great problem to have. I love when they run straight! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob Davis said:

it sounds like your blessed with having such good bases for your players. It's a great problem to have. I love when they run straight! 

Bob, I completely agree. Thank you. 😃👍

One of my values is to create situations in every game where my great players have a a chance to run 80, 90, and 100 yards for a touchdown. 🤩 That's why I use stop-forward progress tackling and I always use man-to-man pass coverage (never Tampa Two). When the running back or wide receiver breaks out of the pack they're headed for the end zone. 💥💫 BOOM.  I never get tired of that.

I film my games just so I can watch those runs over and over again.

Enjoy the Journey.   Terry43.    🏈♾️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terry43 said:

I film my games just so I can watch those runs over and over again.

Yes!   It is so fun to relive those EF moments.

video is also very instructive.  You can slow down the playback and really see what happened.   Even better, you can see how the play might have gone better if only this guy was angled this way or that, etc.  

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 7:37 AM, Greg F said:

All bases are very well tweaked,   But, I’ve had quite a few 60, 70, 80 yard TDs by getting the hall to the RB in space.  

Greg, I thought about you when my halfback GTO #21 rumbled 88 yards for a touchdown.

That's why we tweak. 🤩

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 3

For what it is worth and to add to the confusion if I'm not too late, like Terry 43, I bump hard at the line of scrimmage use 2 deep safeties but like Coach Shawn and to add a little bit of home field advantage, the home team also gets an extra pivot toward the intended visitor ball carrier to make things a little harder for them if that makes sense. Blessings to all, Curt. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 5:12 AM, Bob Davis said:

Quite honestly Greg it sounds like you’re blessed with having such good bases for your players. It's a great problem to have. I love when they run straight! 

I seemed to have developed some skill at it.  Though, I’m sure gifts are othered way better!

• Like 3