Is Your League Expanding?

Bob Davis

I was on Ebay last night and in a moment of weakness I purchased some "Hong Kong" teams. 16 teams to be exact. 🙄 It was a value pack. I love a good value! I wasn't planning on expanding my league after the Chargers, Seahawks, Bears and Lions were to join the league, which would bring the total number of teams to 24.  I always thought that if I were to expand further, I would add the 4 teams that I don't have from the "original" 28 teams; the Chiefs, Jets, Cardinals and Packers. Included in my value pack were Chiefs white and dark and dark Jets. Again, 🙄🙄

• Like 4

I keep getting or making new teams.  But I keep my solitaire league at 10 teams to keep it manageable.

I also run our competition league.

I keep planning on doing a College solitaire league as well as I now have 8 completed teams, with several others are various levels of completion.  So I guess most of my current expansion has been to add college level teams.

The last Pro team I bought off the NEFLG website.  It was the AFL NY Titans.   I finished them off with facemasks, numbers, and names. I plan to use them for another competition team.  

• Like 3

Very cool, Coach Shawn! I still have the Chargers and Bears to paint. They will enter the league along with the Lions and Seahawks the season after next. Just wondering, what teams do you want to have in your college league? Are the players for each team from a specific class, or is each team a dream team from different eras? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bob Davis said:

what teams do you want to have in your college league? Are the players for each team from a specific class, or is each team a dream team from different eras? 

My College Teams:

1985 Iowa Hawkeyes (One of the years I attended Iowa and a great year for Iowa football. They went 10-2 in season but, lost in Rose Bowl to UCLA)

2006 Boise State (the team that upset Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl)

2021 Army Black Knights ( I am a veteran of the US Army, 1983-1991, so I a feel connected to Army football.)

2021 Navy Midshipmen (you can’t really have Army and not have Navy as well)

1984 Boston college (Doug Flutie, my favorite QB)

Harvard Crimson (1930’s)

Yale Bulldogs (1930’s)

Princeton Tigers (1930’s)

Rutgers Scarlet Knights (1930’s)

So mostly try to pick teams and years with special meaning to me.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, Bob Davis said:

would bring the total number of teams to 24

On 9/2/2023 at 1:10 PM, Coach Shawn said:

I keep getting or making new teams.  But I keep my solitaire league at 10 teams to keep it manageable.

I'm at 21 teams in 2023. That will change. Like coach Shawn, I keep making up new teams.

At some point a year or two from now I will get in a mindset that I can't possibly deal with more than 6 or 8 teams and some teams will go in the garbage. Some will get stored on a top shelf (out of sight — out of mind) and my wife will save a few of her favorites.

Then three or four years from now I will be bored with the same eight teams and I will expand to ten... Then I'll go crawling back to my wife and ask if I could have her favorites back... Then I'll get an idea for a different kind of football jersey and then I'm up to sixteen... And it keeps going until I reach around 32 teams. Then I'll have a huge 32-team tournament.

Then I'll complain I can't possibly keep track of 640 players and the contraction will begin all over again.

I'm not sure why I keep going through this expansion/contraction cycle, but I do. Through all the cycles, the first constant is one-game a week, 52-weeks a year. The second constant is:

On 9/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, Bob Davis said:

It was a value pack. I love a good value!

I love to find deals on eBay.

Enjoy the Journey.    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 4

Even though I limit my solitaire league size I often play one off games with my non-affiliated teams.

I still have teams I plan to make and this is my short list:

1. My HS team

2. SB 57 Chiefs 

3: iowa blades (pro fantasy team)

4. Dayton triangles (modernized)

5. Rock Island Independents (modernized)

6.  SB 3 Jets

• Like 4