How do you run the Power Sweep?

Terry43

Hi. On Tudor packaging Tudor claimed that coaches could run real sweeps. Here is a good explanation of how a Sweep should work. https://youtu.be/Fmnw6MkaJbQ

In electric football the tricky part is pulling the guard and then getting the guard to block. When I was a kid I use to put the Guard's base on backwards and set the dial to run a sharp curve. That kind of replicates the Guard pulling but then the little plastic man doesn't look around for a defender to block. Why is that?  🤔 😉

So, I don't try to replicate the guard pulling. I set up with the Guard ready to block defenders. Attached are videos of my Power Sweep.

I don't try to pull the Center. Plastic Quarterbacks don't get hurt or get concussions 😉 so I use the Quarterback as the third blocker (Fullback, Guard, & QB).

The two teams are the Playtime butterscotch-base Suncats and the ITZ CL2-base Norsemen.

In the third video the Suncat Tailback #33 stiff arms the Strong Side Cornerback and takes the ball down the sideline for big yardage. 😎 💥💫

T43

• Like 3

Great videos.

To duplicate the play in your videos into the rules I use would mean giving the offense 1 shift (the o-guard) and three pivots.  My rules don’t allow the defense to respond to pivots but they can shift 1 player if the offense uses a shift.

My rules currently only allow two pivots but you are allowed to setup at any angle, so one back could be “pre-pivoted”.    My rules don’t currently allow offensive linemen to shift but watching your video has got me rethinking that restriction.

• Like 2

My “wide” runs are usually off tackle runs that utilizes a strong TE to block and setting up the WR very wide to spread the defense. (See video).  
I do use wide runs but they depend on the speed and dependable run arc of the runner more than blocking (see video).

• Like 2

Hi Shawn. First and foremost, I really enjoyed watching your videos. Thank you! 😃

I run slants, pitchouts, and naked bootlegs where the offensive line Influence Blocks and — like you — I depend on the, "(T)he speed and dependable run arc of the runner." 

I also use Traps to create holes for the ball carrier. In the video the Thunderbirds tackle #79 and Tight End #92 run backwards to "pull" the defense away from the play. In the video I turn the players around so it is easier to see what's happening. In this quick hitter the Fullback #47 follows the left guard #62 through the hole. Golden Grizzlies Nose Tackle #67 is the only one who can make the play and he does. Also, for the actual play I used slow motion so it is easier to see the play develop.

Once again, thanks for sharing your videos. T43

2 hours ago, Terry43 said:

In this quick hitter the Fullback #47 follows the left guard #62 through the hole. Golden Grizzlies Nose Tackle #67 is the only one who can make the play and he does.

Beautiful play.  A lot of good blocking by the o-line.  But as you said the nose tackle makes a great play, fighting around the block to prevent a bigger gain.

• Like 1