Jump to content

2023 TOP GUN Nassau Tournament stunned by Johnny-Freeport!


Recommended Posts

nassauleague.jpg.69445cb9054136e261017c321932fa51.jpg(Garden City New York). Sunday Written By Paddy Brannigan and Levi Vick.

Win or Lose, Money talks!

A first! This past weekend to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Day, the Nassau EFL (NEFL) in Garden City, New York I attended the Nassau Tournament of Champions to watch LIEFL-Johnny-Freeport compete against their best and whoever the finalist would be in their TOP GUN Championship, after their LI Gladiators and LIEFL Member Bobby Biggs brother Andy Biggs, was crowned Champion three weeks ago in the NEFL. Primed and ready coming off of a huge win over our LIEFL Los Angeles Chargers in OT, our own LIEFL Super Bowl XVIII Champion Johnny-Freeport stormed the Nassau 67-BIG MEN League with his proud LIEFL Champion Atlanta Falcons (9-2), but to play their champion, Freeport did not know that his Falcons would be vetted through a 16-man team tournament, nor did Freeport seem to care. He came to play and to attempt to win more money.

Rather than cover the game like we do in the LIEFL, so that we could enjoy the game, we just wrote a summary by talking into the phone in an email and then editing after. It's too much work.

LIEFL Member Levi Vick competed in the NEFL league for 10 years, and Bobby Biggs brother Andre has played in the league for five years. It was LIEFL-Coach Joey Pizz who convinced the former two-time Nassau SB Champion Levi Vick, and Bobby Biggs to play in the LIEFL. Commissioner Billy O'C would love to have the remainder of the coaches join but the issue is we have one season left in the LIEFL and the amount of exhausting work that goes into making a great league, we couldn't handle. Perhaps we will combine forces and begin a new journey by creating a new Long Island League.  It's complicated for many reasons. Reason one is, rebuilding a league and for the LIEFL members, starting over. The LIEFL figures all belong to Billy O'C and he already told us after the league folds, we would have to buy our own teams if we wanted to continue a league. That is fair. They are his teams, and his and Ed Viggs league. O'C is finished and to Viggs, he'll do what O'C wants in the finale.

Here is how he Johnny-Freeport's Falcons faired:

Game #1: Round 1: LIEFL SB XVIII Champion Atlanta Falcons (9-2) vs. NEFL-Nassau Trojans
Falcons 50 Trojans 20
We did the count on the stats. BOOM! Johnny-Freeport came out with his own TOP GUNS blazing! LIEFL ALL-PRO Gerald Riggs exploded for 506 all-purpose yards, with 20 touches, including four touchdowns, two of them were 100-yard returns against the all-Maroon Trojans. Also, Falcons receivers Julio Jones scored one touchdown, and LIEFL-Super Bowl XVIII star Austin Hooper had two electrifying touchdown catches of 43 and 22 yards! On defense "Posse" defender Deion Sanders had two sacks working the blind and weak side of the Trojans offense. They were no match for these Falcons. LIEFL ALL-PRO Bill Fralic had five tackles as the Dirty Birds frontmen paved the way for Riggs and company! Great start to the tournament for the Falcons and the posse!
 
Game #2: Round 2: LIEFL SB XVIII Champion Atlanta Falcons (10-2) vs. NEFL-Team USA
Falcons 44 Team USA 16
BAM! LIEFL Gerald Riggs surprised! Riggs busted out rushing for 235 yards with four touchdowns, one of the runs was 74 yards into the endzone with Johnny-Freeport just getting warmed up! Freeport dominated Team USA. Freeport aired it out with two touchdown catches by Austin Hooper! 
Team USA with no match for Atlanta. The Falcons killed the clock with Riggs finishing the game with over 483 all-purpose yards! The Falcons defense crushed USA, limiting them to 134 yards in the game. Falcons lineman Claude Humphrey had four tackles for the Dirty Bird Posse who chased down a Team USA, who passed most of the game. Falcons defender Deion Sanders had three tackles including a tackle in the backfield on a key second down loss for 17 yards, giving the Dirty Birds full advantage. Hats off though to the running back on Team USA wearing white jerseys with a white helmet featuring a red and blue star on it, who Freeport said was a great base. One great blocker on the line vs the posse is no match for a team as Freeport's 44 unanswered points gave the Falcons the win in a runaway over Team USA!
Game #3: Round 3: LIEFL SB XVIII Champion Atlanta Falcons (11-2) vs. NEFL-Prime-Time Wreckers
Falcons 38 Prime Time Wreckers 23
BATTA-BING! The Silver and Blue numberless NEFL Wreckers were ready for Johnny-Freeport's Falcons after watching the Dirty Birds demolished Team USA 44-16 in Round I. LIEFL-Johnny Freeport switched it up in this game with his Dirty Bird Posse, this time by putting the ball in the silent but deadly Jamaal Anderson's hands. Anderson bullied his way to three rushing touchdowns and Gerald Riggs scored two as the Wreckers could not stop the offensive running attack of the LIEFL Atlanta Falcons, and Johnny-Freeport's Falcons are again going to the finals!  Jamaal Anderson rushed for 174 yards on 15 carries and Riggs had 109 yards rushing on six carries as the Falcons manhandled the Wreckers! This league is far different than how Billy O'C organizes. 
 
IMG_20240116_091322023(2).thumb.jpg.6cd80f1d2b4947b4e4128b66d3ab48e7.jpgGame #4: TOP GUN CHAMPIONSHIP: longislandelectricfootballleague2020logo.jpg.7ac7e819b41268f319a47094251b6600.jpgLIEFL SB XVIII Champion Atlanta Falcons (12-2) vs. nassauleague.jpg.69445cb9054136e261017c321932fa51.jpgNEFL-OIP(6).jpg.51a228629f31f16c3cc01b2819d1b807.jpg G L A D I A TO R S(16-0)
Falcons 24 Gladiators 3
HOOYAH! Johnny-Freeport sent a message to the NEFL coaches as to who's Boss in this tournament, but it wasn't easy! Freeport walked away with the $$$Prize after a defensive crushing of the Nassau season Champion G L A D I A T O R S in the Top Gun Championship Game!  The LIEFL Atlanta Falcons have won nine straight games in the past month! It was Gerald Riggs two 100-yard touchdown returns and one rushing touchdown, (Photo: Gerald Riggs on his 28-yard TD run), a 28 yard scamper by Riggs with Bill Fralic leading the way into the endzone, that silenced the tough Gladiators, but they fought hard. NEFL Champion Andy Biggs couldn't get his G L A D I A T O R offense going against the Falcons posse. Biggs little brother threw two interception passes that the Falcons took advantage of and Atlanta worked the clock. Even with the long counts for the NEFL and turnarounds, Johnny-Freeport had huge success running the ball, but he also had issues with the Nassau EFL rules. If the teams were more competitive in the NEFL, Freeport may have had bigger challenges passing. The Gladiator uniforms were very nice, but they had no numbers.
 
The league doesn't number their players because they believe that a team is a team and numbers only label. To each his own.
 
The Falcons beat the best team in the NEFL who were previously undefeated and The League Super Bowl champ. Johnny-Freeport beat Bobby Biggs brother Andre in the finals! The one thing is, it might be the first time that Freeport didn't trash talk.
 
Johnny Freeport said by email, " Didn't like the rules, teams were average, coaching was good, but when in doubt run, run, run! I'm finished for the year! Unless of course there's a two or $3,000 tournament going on. I came into this tournament to dominate, and really my guys did all the work. Atlanta is solid all the way around. My backfield is still hungry, so it's good that I gave the ball to it my boy Anderson because when you're watching this guy do what he does with that speed, you know you have a player." Gerald Riggs showed everyone who can play didn't he? I appreciate Joey Pizz and Brannigan for coming to the final game, and Levi Vick too. The competition was good, but I've played better. The proof in the play is, the Biggs boys are no match for my guys. The league is nowhere near as organized as the LIEFL."
 
Freeport earned $500 more dollars playing against the 67-Big MEN best of best teams from the Levi Vicks former Nassau League.The Nassau EFL plays a ten game season with 24 teams. The NEFL seemed anxious to play the LIEFL SB Champion and they kept their promise to play our SB Champion with their SB Champion in this $500 dollar "Top Gun" Tournament.
 
The Tournament MVP Gerald Riggs
 
 

NASSAU LEAGUE TOP GUN.jpg

Edited by Long island EFL
INFO ADDED
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Long island EFL said:

LIEFL ALL-PRO Gerald Riggs exploded for 506 all-purpose yards, with 20 touches, including four touchdowns, two of them were 100-yard returns against the all-Maroon Trojans.

Seems that Gerald Riggs wouldn't be accumulating any yards without a potent offensive line. What are Johnny-Freeport's blocking schemes?

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.    🏈♾️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Terry43 said:

Seems that Gerald Riggs wouldn't be accumulating any yards without a potent offensive line. What are Johnny-Freeport's blocking schemes?

Enjoy the Journey.  T43.    🏈♾️

He uses three or four blocking schemes that I have played against--the traditional man on man, pulling linemen or waggles seems to be his favorite. Not sure about that accumulating yardage part. He also uses a tough front five in common plow type offensive line that plows everything in it way. Nothing sophisticated, he seems to keep it simple.  If we can stop his kick returns and limit them, he is beatable and moreover, if you can get into his head and shake his confidence, that is the best in him folding, but not this year.  Levi-

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

He uses three or four blocking schemes that I have played against--the traditional man on man, pulling linemen or waggles seems to be his favorite. Not sure about that accumulating yardage part. He also uses a tough front five in common plow type offensive line that plows everything in it way. Nothing sophisticated, he seems to keep it simple.  If we can stop his kick returns and limit them, he is beatable and moreover, if you can get into his head and shake his confidence, that is the best in him folding, but not this year.  Levi-

Not like Viggs who runs great traps, tags and double-team runs with a running blocker to either side of the ball and the tackle and guards trapping inside or outside at his service, but then again Viggs is an excellent offensive mind who is cool, calm, quiet and collective! He's my favorite to watch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

He uses three or four blocking schemes that I have played against--the traditional man on man, pulling linemen or waggles seems to be his favorite. Not sure about that accumulating yardage part. He also uses a tough front five in common plow type offensive line that plows everything in it way. Nothing sophisticated, he seems to keep it simple.  If we can stop his kick returns and limit them, he is beatable and moreover, if you can get into his head and shake his confidence, that is the best in him folding, but not this year.  Levi-

From what I have seen it doesn't matter what he runs, he wins! They couldn't stop his running game, but maybe a little luck was on his team's side. One coach tried his three-four defensive scheme but he was demolished. Freeport was averaging 10-12 yards on his runs with the LIEFL #20 ranked Falcons, and he just chipped away at the defense. You never know who is gonna play on the field. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

From what I have seen it doesn't matter what he runs, he wins! They couldn't stop his running game, but maybe a little luck was on his team's side. One coach tried his three-four defensive scheme but he was demolished. Freeport was averaging 10-12 yards on his runs with the LIEFL #20 ranked Falcons, and he just chipped away at the defense. You never know who is gonna play on the field. 

 

32 minutes ago, nefgm.org said:

That's the truth!! See it all the time in other league and tournament game play. Even in solitaire!!

It is one thing to have a mental game plan and talk about it, but it is a whole nother to execute it in live play. I am a silent coach who loves the fun of the game and the hobby. Have to be able to be a chameleon on all sides of the ball in any league. Solitaire is great! If these guys ditch because of the glue (Billy O'C), I will do my own Solitaire with all of my teams. The savvy is the technology in the LIEFL and the work that goes into keeping records, which is lacking in other leagues. Me thinks every league needs a loud coach like Freeport, win or lose. His talk keeps the game interesting and the coaches yearning for more, but beating him is beating his radicalism in my mind. LOL! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, nefgm.org said:

That's the truth!! See it all the time in other league and tournament game play. Even in solitaire!!

The Nassau league grew from our college days at Hofstra University. We never followed Tudor or Miggle because we just purchased games, not even realizing that there were tournaments. We were too busy studying, going to school, and for fun, playing electric football. We had about 35 guys in the league and it was amazing! Everyone had a team, but the teams were not as good as the Nassau EFL, but I will say this, the quality of the player bases I think, ws better than that of today. Just an opinion. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

the quality of the player bases I think, ws better than that of today. Just an opinion. 

Would be interesting to see some of you guys compete against some of the TOC or MFBCS guys that use primarily the ITZ Bases. I would invite you to come down to the Nashville, TN area and play some of the guys in our Music City League. Our league is great. Small group of 6-8 coaches who get along really well. Very Competitive group but not like some of the other leagues that are larger and take the game way too seriously. We meet in the home of the league commissioner and play on custom 2' x 4' game boards. Very informal setting usually pizza and sandwiches provided. We have about half the group that drives 2- 3 hours just to play in this league. Always on a Saturday and 2 to 3 games usually played within about 6 hours.   We meet for usually 3 regular season game days and then an end of season one day Championship Tournament. Typically do a college season in the spring and a pro season in the fall. I don't play in it anymore, but I do go watch the others play and enjoy the food, fun and fellowship. Don't keep any of the team or player stats. Is more about just the fun and fellowship.  Sometimes I will do a Facebook live feed of the game and take pics to post on Facebook. But again, this is just more of a casual informal league experience. Someday I hope to get up to New York and visit with you guys. Was hoping to before Billy O'C retires and moves to Florida. I used to travel quite a bit to NY and Long Island when I was working for the Museum Exhibit Company. For several years I made an annual trip to Citi Field and the Mets Pro Shop and Hall of Fame before the start of the MLB regular season to do updates on some of the exhibits and displays there and usually stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Roslyn - Manhasset Area on Northern Blvd.     

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

Would be interesting to see some of you guys compete against some of the TOC or MFBCS guys that use primarily the ITZ Bases. I would invite you to come down to the Nashville, TN area and play some of the guys in our Music City League. Our league is great. Small group of 6-8 coaches who get along really well. Very Competitive group but not like some of the other leagues that are larger and take the game way too seriously. We meet in the home of the league commissioner and play on custom 2' x 4' game boards. Very informal setting usually pizza and sandwiches provided. We have about half the group that drives 2- 3 hours just to play in this league. Always on a Saturday and 2 to 3 games usually played within about 6 hours.   We meet for usually 3 regular season game days and then an end of season one day Championship Tournament. Typically do a college season in the spring and a pro season in the fall. I don't play in it anymore, but I do go watch the others play and enjoy the food, fun and fellowship. Don't keep any of the team or player stats. Is more about just the fun and fellowship.  Sometimes I will do a Facebook live feed of the game and take pics to post on Facebook. But again, this is just more of a casual informal league experience. Someday I hope to get up to New York and visit with you guys. Was hoping to before Billy O'C retires and moves to Florida. I used to travel quite a bit to NY and Long Island when I was working for the Museum Exhibit Company. For several years I made an annual trip to Citi Field and the Mets Pro Shop and Hall of Fame before the start of the MLB regular season to do updates on some of the exhibits and displays there and usually stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Roslyn - Manhasset Area on Northern Blvd.     

Thank you for the response. These guys had some in the tourney that Freeport just played in had several ITZ bases. We are voting on that shortly and maybe we can bring those bases into the league. I have heard great things about them.

I am pretty sure if there was a BIG money payout, some of the guys might be interested in tournaments.  I have to look that Music City League up! Surely, there is always someone better than the LIEFL, and I know for me, I always learn! WOW! I wish we knew you back then too. New York has changed drastically Sir. It has turned into a dump in my opinion. Ed Viggs is the guy to get--he knows all about Nashville. He went to Vanderbilt U and he knows a slew of EF ballers! Just looked your league up, looks great. Do you guys keep records and stats to chase for records? I didn't see much posted, but great picture. One of the allures of this league is that we play for money. It is awesome to know that we are not just playing for the hobby. That might intrigue other coaches to join an honest league. It keeps coaches committed and in the hunt to be competitive, win or lose. Lev-

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Long island EFL said:

Thank you for the response. These guys had some in the tourney that Freeport just played in had several ITZ bases. We are voting on that shortly and maybe we can bring those bases into the league. I have heard great things about them.

I am pretty sure if there was a BIG money payout, some of the guys might be interested in tournaments.  I have to look that Music City League up! Surely, there is always someone better than the LIEFL, and I know for me, I always learn! WOW! I wish we knew you back then too. New York has changed drastically Sir. It has turned into a dump in my opinion. Ed Viggs is the guy to get--he knows all about Nashville. He went to Vanderbilt U and he knows a slew of EF ballers! Just looked your league up, looks great. Do you guys keep records and stats to chase for records? I didn't see much posted, but great picture. One of the allures of this league is that we play for money. It is awesome to know that we are not just playing for the hobby. That might intrigue other coaches to join an honest league. It keeps coaches committed and in the hunt to be competitive, win or lose. Lev-

With just one season remaining maybe those bases are the future for us when we break off. That is going to be a very sad day because I am just going into my 4th season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Long island EFL said:

Ed Viggs is the guy to get--he knows all about Nashville. He went to Vanderbilt U and he knows a slew of EF ballers!

That's Cool!! I try to go to at least one Vanderbilt Football game per season. It's fun to go to these games just to experience the whole College Football Game Day Experience. Vanderbilt is in the process of expanding their current stadium. Much needed but still the smallest venue in the SEC. Vanderbilt's fan base isn't very large and when you go to one of their games, the majority of the spectators are there for the visiting team, unless it is some much smaller non-conference opponent. 

No, we don't keep records or stats, it is more about just getting together for the fun and fellowship and playing some games. 

Playing for money is kind of a big taboo in most of the other sectors of the game and hobby. I do know of a couple of instances that it has been tried, some successfully but most unsuccessfully.  The major tournament circuits (the TOC and the MFBCS) and some of the other leagues do require a registration fee, but that is used mainly to pay for the facility where the events are held, food, snacks, soft drinks, and end of season awards and trophies.  It is totally free to play in the Music City EFL. It seems to work really well for you guys, and that's great. The LIEFL could definitely be used as a model of how to make this work successfully. Ever thought about producing some promotional videos or materials of how you guys do it??

Most of the info, pics, etc. on the Music City EFL can be found on our Facebook Group Page. 

Music City EFL on Facebook

At the end of the day, Electric Football for most people, is still just that fun game that they used to play as a kid and a fun recreational activity and hobby. Some people have taken it much further with creating and developing very successful business with it such as the Klingbeil Bros. with their ITZ Bases and products and of course Bryan Nutt as the new owner of Tudor Games. There are several other people who have taken the technology of 3D Printing and created successful Cottage Industry businesses by offering various lines of 3D printed figures, bases and other related EF products, people who produce the decals for figures and of course the premier painters who create and sell the highly detailed and customized teams and figures that have become so popular to play the game with and create awesome looking home "man cave" displays. There are a few who have been very successful with making a business out of offering base "tweaking" surfaces.  And let's not forget the awesome EF Stadium experiences that some have created and the custom game board builders, and field cover and other field decoration graphic designers.  

I am sure Norman Sas really had no idea that the simple kid's game and toy he created in 1949 would morph into what it has become today.  

Edited by nefgm.org
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, nefgm.org said:

That's Cool!! I try to go to at least one Vanderbilt Football game per season. It's fun to go to these games just to experience the whole College Football Game Day Experience. Vanderbilt is in the process of expanding their current stadium. Much needed but still the smallest venue in the SEC. Vanderbilt's fan base isn't very large and when you go to one of their games, the majority of the spectators are there for the visiting team, unless it is some much smaller non-conference opponent. 

No, we don't keep records or stats, it is more about just getting together for the fun and fellowship and playing some games. 

Playing for money is kind of a big taboo in most of the other sectors of the game and hobby. I do know of a couple of instances that it has been tried, some successfully but most unsuccessfully.  The major tournament circuits (the TOC and the MFBCS) and some of the other leagues do require a registration fee, but that is used mainly to pay for the facility where the events are held, food, snacks, soft drinks, and end of season awards and trophies.  It is totally free to play in the Music City EFL. It seems to work really well for you guys, and that's great. The LIEFL could definitely be used as a model of how to make this work successfully. Ever thought about producing some promotional videos or materials of how you guys do it??

Most of the info, pics, etc. on the Music City EFL can be found on our Facebook Group Page. 

Music City EFL on Facebook

At the end of the day, Electric Football for most people, is still just that fun game that they used to play as a kid and a fun recreational activity and hobby. Some people have taken it much further with creating and developing very successful business with it such as the Klingbeil Bros. with their ITZ Bases and products and of course Bryan Nutt as the new owner of Tudor Games. There are several other people who have taken the technology of 3D Printing and created successful Cottage Industry businesses by offering various lines of 3D printed figures, bases and other related EF products, people who produce the decals for figures and of course the premier painters who create and sell the highly detailed and customized teams and figures that have become so popular to play the game with and create awesome looking home "man cave" displays. There are a few who have been very successful with making a business out of offering base "tweaking" surfaces.  And let's not forget the awesome EF Stadium experiences that some have created and the custom game board builders, and field cover and other field decoration graphic designers.  

I am sure Norman Sas really had no idea that the simple kid's game and toy he created in 1949 would morph into what it has become today.  

Yes understood! And we are creative in where we play, by sharing and opening up our homes to league members. We commit to each other like men do and we take it from there. It isn't easy but we manage because we are organized. People love stats and chasing records in the league, and that is what brings on so much fun! Just playing the game isn't enough. To each his own! We respect everyone's approach and whatever works for you is awesome. We accept that people's league are great in the way they play and run their leagues.   

Nothing is free in New York! LOL! It is so much fun but for us even more fun that at the end of the day there is something more rewarding than the fun and games, there are dues and a payout as you know. In the future, we will test a few of the ITZ bases and see where that goes, but since time is running out I am not sure we will all see their worth in one season. As for the promotional, I pushed Billy O'C on that but he is too wrapped up. If anyone can make a film he can. He should do a professional documentary on the game. Yes, many people have done great things for the hobby, including you! You are preserving it.

These guys in our league will never play for free, and in a way it makes for a great league. After all, who wouldn't want to earn a few dollars for doing what we love as a hobby. Norm Sas was a visionary and he may have had his own idea of how this game would morph, but if he didn't we all sure do! Lev 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also! I forgot to mention that your facebook link is awesome. You have built such a great audience and people should know your credibility and reputation in preserving electric football's history. We don't look at any one person as the hero of the game's innovation. That was earned by Norm Sas, not us. Our league is just a take-off from both our childhood passion and the men who made it happen at Tudor Games. We are satellites of his success in what he wished to accomplish. Lev-

Edited by Long island EFL
INFO ADDED
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome!! I will say this about what you guys have created, what works for you and what makes this game and hobby more fun and exciting for you. and that is really all that matters in the long run. As I tell most everyone and what has become my mantra, "Just have fun and play the game!!"  

There has been much talk and discussion before of turning electric football into a professional sport with major competitions and tournaments and major corporate sponsors, that could be aired on ESPN or some other cable /satellite sports network much of like what has been done with MADDEN Video Game Football and several other things that started out as nothing more than just games and recreational activities. Cornhole and Foosball are two that immediately come to mind. With even more streaming and pay per view services that are available today, there is an even greater possibility of making this a possibility. I have always said that electric football would make a great reality TV Show, if produced and marketed correctly. In the past and even still we have some very unique characters and personalities, that could definitely become "Stars" and bring even more popularity to the game. 

What is lacking is that one nationally and internationally recognized organization, that can set the universal standards for game play and format for league and tournament competitions that a large enough number of "players and coaches" will accept. The Miniature Football Coaches Association (MFCA) came close, but that got overrun with people who were only interested in promoting their particular agendas and styles of play and resistance to creating something that everyone in the game and hobby could accept. and embrace.  

We already have the Major manufacturers and corporate sponsors that could help to facilitate this with Tudor Games and ITZ Bases that have greatly improved the game boards and equipment that most people who play the game use today. And there are enough smaller companies and providers of EF products to provide additional sponsorship opportunities.     

As you may or may not know Billy O'C is a member of the NEFGM Board of Directors and a very great source of support and inspiration for me and the Museum. He recently shared some ideas and some plans for his so called "Retirement" that involve some things that I feel are really great ideas and will help to promote and support not only the Museum but also the game and hobby overall. I am certainly looking forward to this time and working more closely with him on these ideas.  I am almost certain that what he created with the LIEFL and his experiences with it are the main source and model of much of what he is proposing. 

Really enjoying the conversation!! Thanks Guys. I can talk and write about EF for hours. LOL!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nefgm.org said:

Awesome!! I will say this about what you guys have created, what works for you and what makes this game and hobby more fun and exciting for you. and that is really all that matters in the long run. As I tell most everyone and what has become my mantra, "Just have fun and play the game!!"  

There has been much talk and discussion before of turning electric football into a professional sport with major competitions and tournaments and major corporate sponsors, that could be aired on ESPN or some other cable /satellite sports network much of like what has been done with MADDEN Video Game Football and several other things that started out as nothing more than just games and recreational activities. Cornhole and Foosball are two that immediately come to mind. With even more streaming and pay per view services that are available today, there is an even greater possibility of making this a possibility. I have always said that electric football would make a great reality TV Show, if produced and marketed correctly. In the past and even still we have some very unique characters and personalities, that could definitely become "Stars" and bring even more popularity to the game. 

What is lacking is that one nationally and internationally recognized organization, that can set the universal standards for game play and format for league and tournament competitions that a large enough number of "players and coaches" will accept. The Miniature Football Coaches Association (MFCA) came close, but that got overrun with people who were only interested in promoting their particular agendas and styles of play and resistance to creating something that everyone in the game and hobby could accept. and embrace.  

We already have the Major manufacturers and corporate sponsors that could help to facilitate this with Tudor Games and ITZ Bases that have greatly improved the game boards and equipment that most people who play the game use today. And there are enough smaller companies and providers of EF products to provide additional sponsorship opportunities.     

As you may or may not know Billy O'C is a member of the NEFGM Board of Directors and a very great source of support and inspiration for me and the Museum. He recently shared some ideas and some plans for his so called "Retirement" that involve some things that I feel are really great ideas and will help to promote and support not only the Museum but also the game and hobby overall. I am certainly looking forward to this time and working more closely with him on these ideas.  I am almost certain that what he created with the LIEFL and his experiences with it are the main source and model of much of what he is proposing. 

Really enjoying the conversation!! Thanks Guys. I can talk and write about EF for hours. LOL!!

"What is lacking is that one nationally and internationally recognized organization, that can set the universal standards for game play and format for league and tournament competitions that a large enough number of "players and coaches" will accept. The Miniature Football Coaches Association (MFCA) came close, but that got overrun with people who were only interested in promoting their particular agendas and styles of play and resistance to creating something that everyone in the game and hobby could accept. and embrace."  

You are the man! Yes, I read a lot about the Museum and it is the premiere cultural switch of the game--keeping people up to speed with trends, coaching, competition, preservation, and incredible information and the lot! He is a great organizer and I think he has the mental aptitude to do it, and do it right.

"If the game ever went international on the level you are talking about, which would be amazing, in my opinion, I think the visual audience needs to see a game that moves fast that doesn't interfere with the natural continuity and flow of the game and play without long countdowns, turnaround plays, and all these stops we have seen on YOUTUBE regarding other leagues. Again, that is fine for their league, but that is where the debate begins in collaborating. The game has to keep a viewers attention and that is a whole other issue. We had a fantastic cameraman who knew just how to capture all the action close up, but he is out in Los Angeles. I never met him, but he is Billy O'C's friend and I have seen his work. But I guess if this really went to TV land, they'd figure all that out. These issues would be excellent debates on an international level. The people who want to promote agendas should be a smaller part of the discussion and isolated to  different discussion. The greater part of the discussion is to embrace the people who play by listening to their ideas, obviously). We are guilty of all of the above by the way, especially when it comes to rules."

 

Thank you so much for sharing your compelling ideas. That is great fellowship! Lev-

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

American football already has a worldwide audience. There are already numerous American football style professional leagues around the globe.  The NFL already broadcasts games to many other countries and as they continue to play regular season games in some of these places it will only grow more popular. 

Here is a list on Wikipedia of current and past American and Canadian football leagues around the globe. 

List of American and Canadian football leagues - Wikipedia

The Museum website (nefgm.org) since its inception in 2020 has gotten multiple views from people in 59 countries and at least 1 view from people in 17 other countries. Of course, the most being from the US (72,739) and Canada (876) followed by the UK (310) and then China (268). Of course, I don't know how that compares to other similar websites. Table Hockey is the only other tabletop sports game that comes close to electric football has been around longer than electric football - since 1933 compared to 1949 for electric football.  

But do a search for "table hockey history museum" and 1,510,000 results come up and you will find some very interesting reading but no references to an actual hockey game museum and then do one for "electric football history museum" and 2,430,000 results come up with of course many references to the National Electric Football Game Museum.   

By the way I have thought about combining electric football, table hockey, electric baseball and electric basketball into one ginormous tabletop sports games museum since Tudor produced a lot of hockey games as well as baseball and basketball and so did the other manufacturers - Gotham, Coleco and Munro. but none of the others have had the success that electric football has had or are even still being made. BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST...  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

American football already has a worldwide audience. There are already numerous American football style professional leagues around the globe.  The NFL already broadcasts games to many other countries and as they continue to play regular season games in some of these places it will only grow more popular. 

Here is a list on Wikipedia of current and past American and Canadian football leagues around the globe. 

List of American and Canadian football leagues - Wikipedia

The Museum website (nefgm.org) since its inception in 2020 has gotten multiple views from people in 59 countries and at least 1 view from people in 17 other countries. Of course, the most being from the US (72,739) and Canada (876) followed by the UK (310) and then China (268). Of course, I don't know how that compares to other similar websites. Table Hockey is the only other tabletop sports game that comes close to electric football has been around longer than electric football - since 1933 compared to 1949 for electric football.  

But do a search for "table hockey history museum" and 1,510,000 results come up and you will find some very interesting reading but no references to an actual hockey game museum and then do one for "electric football history museum" and 2,430,000 results come up with of course many references to the National Electric Football Game Museum.   

By the way I have thought about combining electric football, table hockey, electric baseball and electric basketball into one ginormous tabletop sports games museum since Tudor produced a lot of hockey games as well as baseball and basketball and so did the other manufacturers - Gotham, Coleco and Munro. but none of the others have had the success that electric football has had or are even still being made. BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST...  

Love that board hockey game and great idea to bring them all into the museum! Why not bring more attention to all of the games. The audience is definitely there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check it out! Used to produce a popular Long Island and National High School wrestling show which ended. We switched the page to LIEFL with just some picture posts. But I am the one who has the BeFunky program and took the liberty of making this for the museum for Billy O'C. We would never compete with the page and Billy O'C wanted me to just add some great stuff about this incredible museum collection! I also wrote a few comments on your fantastic FB page for the museum! Levi-

NFGM.jpg

Edited by Long island EFL
INFO ADDED
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Posting Guidelines

Please follow the Rules to ensure that the forums promote fun and productive conversations. We value the free flow of information. We can't offer that in what we believe to be an unsafe or illegal environment. See the section on "Selling Unlicensed Products and/or Services". Failure to comply with these rules may result in a ban from the forums. 

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use.