Which positions for which base strength and speed abilities?

callmegina

I'm in "training camp" mode with a whole bunch of green and black ITZ Starter Bases.

I've got them all numbered, and I'm testing them against each other to rate each base on a 1-5 scale for strength and speed, and note its general direction tendency.

Once I have that done, I want to assign bases to certain player positions.

What traits are best for each position?

• Like 2

Defense V.S. Offense. On defense you need loopers and straight up rushers. You need cover corners and bull strength rushers. Safeties need to be able to close quickly. Offense, pull blockers and strength up front. Speed on the corners and backs that don’t particularly go straight. There are happy accidents to be had and the quirks of a team can become strengths.  Vague enough?

Journey On!

• Like 4

These are my priorities and how I build a team.

image.png.ead1c46fa90115ef8534177d0c8c0a26.png

The very strongest player: On defense the Weak Side Defensive End and on offense the Tight End.

The second strongest player: On defense the Nose Tackle and on offense the Strong Side Tackle.

The third strongest player: On a 3-4 defense the Strong Side Defensive End and on offense the Strong Side Guard.

The fourth strongest player: On defense the Middle Linebacker and on offense the Center.

Now you know if your offensive team is left handed or right handed. 😃👍

The fifth strongest player: On a 4-3 defense a Defensive Tackle, or a Strong Side Linebacker in a 3-4. On offense a traditional Fullback. This is my choice. However, if you're not using a fullback then a Halfback or the Quarterback.

Are you using passing sticks or TTQB? 🤔

The two fastest and straightest running players: In the Tampa Two, both safeties. On offense the Kick Returners / Wide Receivers / Half Backs.

The two fastest and curving players: Left and right Edge Rushers (loopers) on defense and left and right tailbacks on offense.

Enjoy the Journey    T43    🏈♾️

• Like 3

Absolutely fantastic. 😃👍 I'm stunned and humbled.

I wanna make sure I'm reading your table correctly... 

Strength (1-5) means 1 = weakest and 5 = strongest. 

Speed (1-5) means 1 = slowest and 5 = fastest.

Ernie Koy, Homer Jones, Tucker Frederickson, Joe Morrison, Jim Nettles, Nike Morgan, Ben Hawkins, Gary Ballman, Izzy Lang, Wendell Harris, Scott Eaton, Spider Lockhart and Henry Carr will probably become stronger and faster with time. I'd put the franchise tag on them. 🏆

Most of them run straight and I would expect that to also change after the first game. I always compare the players' actual tendency against the chart before the teams' next game.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry43 said:

Absolutely fantastic. 😃👍 I'm stunned and humbled.

I wanna make sure I'm reading your table correctly... 

Strength (1-5) means 1 = weakest and 5 = strongest. 

Speed (1-5) means 1 = slowest and 5 = fastest.

Ernie Koy, Homer Jones, Tucker Frederickson, Joe Morrison, Jim Nettles, Nike Morgan, Ben Hawkins, Gary Ballman, Izzy Lang, Wendell Harris, Scott Eaton, Spider Lockhart and Henry Carr will probably become stronger and faster with time. I'd put the franchise tag on them. 🏆

Most of them run straight and I would expect that to also change after the first game. I always compare the players' actual tendency against the chart before the teams' next game.

Enjoy the Journey   T43   🏈♾️

Yes, 1 is the lowest/worst and 5 is the highest/best.

I just started with one base, and when it kept beating other bases in head-to-head pushing tests I rated it a 5. So eventually I started to be able to see what bases were 4,s, 3s, 2s, and 1s. I did speed tests a similar way, running the test base from the same yardline as a 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 to see who it could beat. That was a little harder to judge, because of hot spots/dead spots and the fact that not all the bases run the same way. 

The "general tendency" is what the base (all my bases are ITZ Starter) wants to do when both dials are set to neutral, and after the basic "10 second tweak" to reduce the amount of curl on the blades and help them perform a bit better than straight out of the box.

Knowing the "general tendency" also tells me which way to turn the dials if I want to try and make them run straighter in game. I'll probably have to experiment with that a bit.

And yes, I expect I'll probably have to change some of my notes/ratings after the bases have played a while -- not sure yet if my Starter bases will stay tweaked or not, and I could probably make some bases perform even better with a re-tweak now that I've done so many of them and have a better feel for it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, callmegina said:

not sure yet if my Starter bases will stay tweaked or not,

I believe everyone is waiting to discover this. 🤔  I know I am. I have my doubts because of my experience tweaking. However, the optimist within me wants the Starter bases to stay tweaked. Please allow me to follow along on your journey of discovery. 😃🫰

Enjoy the Journey    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 2