1970's Vintage Minnesota Vikings

Bought these off eBay last week. Some things I found interesting about this team and bases. 

• The figures are Hong Kong Vikings WJ / BS Circa early 1970's 
  • Possibly numbered as 1974 Vikings 
  • Roster: #10 QB Fran Tarkenton, #44 FB Chuck Forman, #49 RB Ed Marinaro, #42 WR Jon Gilliam, #83 TE Stu Voight, #87 TE John Beasly, #54 LB Fred McNeil, #70 DE Jim Marshall, #77 DT Gary Larsen, #81 DE Carl Eller, #88 DE Alan Page. 
  • The bases are vintage single clip bases with numbers assigned possibly indicating that they were part of a "draft pool" of bases. 
  • The 10-yard chain is an early 70's "620" size chain marker. 

Another thing that I found interesting is that this is very much the same system of numbering and pose position assignment that I have always used with my team rosters. The only thing different I would have done would be to use one of the wide arm figures as my QB and both end figures as WR's.  I also typically used defensive starters as my offensive lineman and offensive starters doubled as my dfensive backfield players. 

DSC04273.thumb.JPG.4dceffc984ca7e171af18a1cd8d0dff1.JPG

DSC04274.thumb.JPG.d32b363843ddc7c439c2ed463dc32857.JPG

DSC04276.thumb.JPG.2e94c4efbe782af3f53a2c3039966abf.JPG

I loved this post so much I pasted it into the thread called: 70s/80s bases vs Proline and ITZ.

Hope you don't mind. It seemed very apropos. I think the same things when I get old bases in an auction. I recently received a red WR figure with a foam football under his arm. He was number 12. The base and figure run straight as an arrow.

1 hour ago, nefgm.org said:

The bases are vintage single clip bases with numbers assigned possibly indicating that they were part of a "draft pool" of bases.

The coach who owned these bases may have had 162 bases. And perhaps two drafts. The first draft was in red felt pen (41 and 32) I'm especially loving base #7. Looks like a 1965 aqua base. Is it showing signs of oxidation?

Do you think the B denotes Back? (B7 and B5)

Enjoy the Journey    T43.    🏈♾️

• Like 1

Terry, 

I quess anything is possible. That would make sense if the B denotes a back. They did not look to be tweaked. Haven't tried any of them to see how they run. I did get them at a really good price. 

I guess I bought them more for the fact that they reminded me of one of the very first teams I had as a kid. 

The first game I had was an AFL Jets and Chiefs and the first team I ordered from Tudor was Vikings white jersey. 

More than likely. I will just make a display with these because I cam make a good back story to go with them. 

4 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

first team I ordered from Tudor was Vikings white jersey.

Bingo! Me too.

4 hours ago, nefgm.org said:

I cam make a good back story to go with them.

You already have. You lived it and so did I on opposite sides of the continent. 😃

Enjoy the Journey.     T43.   🏈♾️

• Like 1