SuperBowl XII April 14th, 2024

Greg F

The Colts drive the ball to the Falcon 25 with 3 passes to Pittman and 1 pass to Taylor.  From there, they have 3 negative plays.  The ball is at the 40 with no TOs left for the Falcons.

The Colts choose  to punt instead of going for the 57 yard FG.  The down the punt at the Falcons 9.  21 seconds left and 91 yards to cover.  Do the Falcons have any magic left this season?

• Like 1

Ridder throws deep for Patterson, but the ball falls to the ground incomplete.

COLTS WIN SUPERBOWL XII                    COLTS 31 FALCONS 26

The Colts become the 2nd team to win 2 SuperBowls

Stats and MVP to come!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Greg F said:

Stats and MVP to come!

what a game i called it the colts were too much for the falcons but it wasn’t the defense surprisingly the offense had a great performance and the D showed up when it counted

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jayethekxng said:

HUGE AUDIBLE BY RIDDER

When I make a mistake, I continue the play and consider it a “busted play”.   But, audible works in this case.  Lol

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayethekxng said:

what a game i called it the colts were too much for the falcons but it wasn’t the defense surprisingly the offense had a great performance and the D showed up when it counted

The 43 yard end around by Josh Downs and subsequent FG made a huge difference in this game.  If the game goes into halftime at 14-13, the Falcons could have continued to hold within 8 points throughout the second half with a chance to run a 2pt conversion at the end of the game.  The FG runs that deficit to 11 points.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jayethekxng said:

The defensive game of the Colts doesn’t show up in the numbers.  But, it was there.  Ridder was only sacked twice (compared to Colts 4.5 sack per game average).  However, one of those sacks held the Falcons to a FG.

The biggest weapon, Cordarelle Patterson, was held to 2 catches on 4 targets.  If not for the 69 yard TD, Samson Ebukam might have been the SuperBowl MVP just due to his converage of Patterson.

Robinson was held to his worst numbers of the year.

Kyle Pitts was the only one of the big 3 to have a consistent game catching 5 balls for 88 yards and a TD.  

One of the Falcons TDs was a 67yard pass.  Another was a 75 yard run on a busted play.  The Colts felt like they had adjusted their defense to stop the Falcons attack before that busted play.

And, at the end of the game, the Colts did what they usually do.  Keep the ball in front of their secondary.  I tested the final play  that fell incomplete.  If Patterson had made the grabs, he’s still immediately tackled and the game ends.  

The Colts were never going shut the Falcons down.  26 points was the most scored on the Colts all year.  My only surprise was how well the Falcons RBs held off the Colts edge rushers.  

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 3

Final Stats of Note

Falcons

Ridder:  2 rushes 83 yds 1TD    12/16 251 yards 2TDs 2 sacks

Patterson:  2 receptions 89 yards 1TD

Robinson:  10 rushes 32 yds  reception 15yds

Pitts :  5 receptions 88yds 1TD

Colts

Taylor:  14 rushes 54 yds    4 receptions 55yds 3TDs   5 returns 163yds

Pittman:  3 receptions 31 yds     1 return 103 yds 1TD

Downs:   1 rush 43yds    2 receptions 31yds

Moore:  5 tackles 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

Love those all white Colt’s uniforms!!

Agree.  Something about all-white looks good.

I love Auburn’s all-white road unis too!

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

SuperBowl XII MVP is Jonathan Taylor with 14 rushes for 54 yards, 4 receptions for 55 yards and 3 TDs, and 5 returns for 163yds.  2 of the returns were past midfield.  

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Greg F said:

SuperBowl XII MVP is Jonathan Taylor with 14 rushes for 54 yards, 4 receptions for 55 yards and 3 TDs, and 5 returns for 163yds.  2 of the returns were past midfield.  

It only takes one player and one mistake in the big games to win a championship. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:50 AM, Greg F said:

Final Stats of Note

Falcons

Ridder:  2 rushes 83 yds 1TD    12/16 251 yards 2TDs 2 sacks

Patterson:  2 receptions 89 yards 1TD

Robinson:  10 rushes 32 yds  reception 15yds

Pitts :  5 receptions 88yds 1TD

Colts

Taylor:  14 rushes 54 yds    4 receptions 55yds 3TDs   5 returns 163yds

Pittman:  3 receptions 31 yds     1 return 103 yds 1TD

Downs:   1 rush 43yds    2 receptions 31yds

Moore:  5 tackles 

Those two big runs for 89 yards by r i d d e r should have been capitalized by more successful running. That's a huge number.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:44 PM, Greg F said:

Stats and MVP to come!

Congratulations to the Colts on their second Super Bowl victory! That's terrific in any League!

Edited by Long island EFL
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

Those two big runs for 89 yards by r i d d e r should have been capitalized by more successful running. That's a huge number.

I didn’t think Ridder would be able to run like that until I mistakenly left the freeezeframe off of him.  Of course, that was also against a Colts defense expecting a pass.  Bijon Robinson has been the Falcons work horse all season, and he never got much going against the Colts D-Line.

The next time the Falcons got the ball, there was less than 30 seconds and they were at their own 9 with no timeouts left.  Admirable drive to try to win the game though!

25 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

Congratulations to the Colts on their second Super Bowl victory! That's terrific in any League!

Their last one was in SuperBowl IV 21-17 over the Packers (1981) 

41 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

It only takes one player and one mistake in the big games to win a championship. 

I still consider this to be the biggest play of the game… and, also the signature play of SuperBowl XII.  With 8 seconds to go in the half and a 1 point lead, Josh Downs end around gets the Colts into FG position.  They kick the FG to make it a 4 point lead.  And, they get the ball to start the second half.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Long island EFL said:

The Colts one big mistake was Samson Ebukam losing the coverage on Patterson, who then went for 69 yards and a TD.  If that hadn’t happened, Ebukam would have most likely been the MVP with no stat line at all.  

Edited by Greg F
  • Like 1