AEFL’s Coverage Circles

Coach Shawn

Carl from the AEFL has developed an interesting idea that helps minimize bias during pass plays.

His method takes the decision of whether to throw or not out of your hands.   He does this by using what he calls Coverage Circles.   Coverage Circles are templates that you will use to determine whether you can throw to a specific receiver or not based on how “open” they are.

Carl explains this in his youtube video;  

I am planning to try the Coverage Circles for my solitaire league.  Many times I decide against a pass as too risky but then I always wonder if I did that team a disservice.  Using the templates will take the onus of that decision off me.

all of his videos in this series are extremely well done and he has developed a well thoughtout  rule system.  Check them out if you haven’t already.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 7:10 AM, Coach Shawn said:

all of his videos in this series are extremely well done and he has developed a well thoughtout  rule system.

I agree 100%. I like the AEFL values: 1. Easy setup; 2. Under two hour game time; 3. Plenty of Big Plays; 4. The coach's skill set is a non-factor; and 5. Fun. 

I didn't look at the coverage circles video until today. That's when I noticed the AEFL uses Stop-Forward-Progress tackling. 

The AEFL defines a tackle as, "A running back is forced in a negative direction by direct contact with the front of the defender's base or the side of the defender's base." Here's the AEFL video.

Tackling is described at the 8:22 mark in the video.

My definition is a bit more strict: A running back is forced in a negative direction. I do believe the AEFL definition is very well thought out and — if I was in a league — I could play with that rule.

I found all the rules to be excellent alternatives to the TOEPRO rule book. 

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 9:10 AM, Coach Shawn said:

Carl from the AEFL has developed an interesting idea that helps minimize bias during pass plays.

His method takes the decision of whether to throw or not out of your hands.   He does this by using what he calls Coverage Circles.   Coverage Circles are templates that you will use to determine whether you can throw to a specific receiver or not based on how “open” they are.

Carl explains this in his youtube video;  

I am planning to try the Coverage Circles for my solitaire league.  Many times I decide against a pass as too risky but then I always wonder if I did that team a disservice.  Using the templates will take the onus of that decision off me.

all of his videos in this series are extremely well done and he has developed a well thoughtout  rule system.  Check them out if you haven’t already.

Sometimes flipping a coin takes that decision out of the coach's hands as well

On 7/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, Terry43 said:

I agree 100%. I like the AEFL values: 1. Easy setup; 2. Under two hour game time; 3. Plenty of Big Plays; 4. The coach's skill set is a non-factor; and 5. Fun. 

I didn't look at the coverage circles video until today. That's when I noticed the AEFL uses Stop-Forward-Progress tackling. 

The AEFL defines a tackle as, "A running back is forced in a negative direction by direct contact with the front of the defender's base or the side of the defender's base." Here's the AEFL video.

Tackling is described at the 8:22 mark in the video.

My definition is a bit more strict: A running back is forced in a negative direction. I do believe the AEFL definition is very well thought out and — if I was in a league — I could play with that rule.

I found all the rules to be excellent alternatives to the TOEPRO rule book. 

Enjoy the Journey T43 🏈♾️

Excellent analysis Terry

• Thanks 1