Hi. If you've seen some of the Tudor Electric Football boxes from the Sixties then you've seen seen the claim, "Run Real Traps," like in this picture.

image.png.4416ae66adea7ef5a53e9dd5622512c2.png

The Trap isn't as pervasive in the NFL as the Power Sweep, but if you've watched Coach Belichick and the Patriots then you've seen the Trap (especially in a snowy playoff game against the Raiders 🥲) The idea is for the offensive line to pretend they're pass blocking and then handoff to a Half Back who is also pretending to pass block.

Attached is a video of how I run the Draw.

The left and right Tight Ends and the left side Tackle have bases on backwards. When the wave generator is turned on these three players retreat and pretend to pass block. 🤔

The Fullback is on the left side and the Half Back is on the right side of the QB. The Halfback is replaced with a magnetic marker so that the Half Back doesn't move when the wave generator is turned on (He's pretending to block 🤔)

When the wave generator is turned on the QB drops back. When the QB is even with the Half Back the wave generator is turned off. The magnetic marker is removed and the Half Back is positioned in the same place. The QB hands off to the Half Back. The coach aims the Half Back. The wave generator is turned on. 

How do you set up and run a trap? T43

Hi. My Metallians are playing the Christmas Spirit for a place in the Playoffs. The Christmas Spirit is a very fast team and the Metallians found themselves in 4th and 7 on the Christmas Spirit 38 yard line. Too far to kick a Field Goal and too close to punt.

The Metallians ran a Draw.* Video is attached.**    Enjoy the journey! 🍺

*I play Stop Forward Progress Tackling

** The Metallian QB has a different jersey because I dropped my starting Metallian QB and then ran over him with my chair. 😬 Broke his little plastic leg. 🤕 A drop of super glue should fix him up. 😅 But will he ever run the same? 🤔

On 4/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, Terry43 said:

The Halfback is replaced with a magnetic marker so that the Half Back doesn't move when the wave generator is turned on (He's pretending to block 🤔)

When the wave generator is turned on the QB drops back. When the QB is even with the Half Back the wave generator is turned off. The magnetic marker is removed and the Half Back is positioned in the same place. 

Yes. I don't replace just the base but the whole figure. See the attached video. This part is missing from the other videos. Sorry.  The Halfback Draw requires a stationary marker if the QB is under center, or if the QB is in the Shotgun or Pistol.

A QB Draw wouldn't require a stationary marker.

The backwards running tackle and tight ends may be a rules problem in some leagues. The pretend pass blocking has to be duplicated in some way, or its not a Draw.

Thanks for asking. T43

• Like 1

Totally fascinated with these teams of yours! I remember when Tudor/(Miggle?) had some teams they produced with made up names, (Irish Babies anyone?), and I don’t think they went over so well. YOUR teams on the other hand are off the proverbial chain! Very entertaining. Snow field and all. 

• Like 2

Thanks Daryl. Tudor held a contest and the winner of the contest contributed the Munich Moon Sharks, London Jacks, and the Irish Babies.

3 hours ago, Daryl Collins said:

I don’t think they went over so well.

You're very correct on that point. NFL teams are, and always have been, the selling point. The book, The Unforgettable Buzz: the history of electric football and Tudor games, has this quote: " Norman Sas knew that there were too many companies selling too many games. The Electric Football marketplace was going to be a challenge in 1973. Even for Tudor Games, who had the advantage of the NFL license."

I use the Munich Moonsharks for my Iron Horse. Also, I use the London Jacks' helmets for my Welsh Dragons.

T43 🚀

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, Terry43 said:

Hi. If you've seen some of the Tudor Electric Football boxes from the Sixties then you've seen seen the claim, "Run Real Traps," like in this picture.

Here is my attempt at using a TTC base on my Lineman to create a trap run.

Rutgers is in a T Formation from the shotgun.  Yale is defending.

The Right Guard is pivoted to pull off the line and curl over to help block on the left side of the O-Line.  The RHB is setup to block up the gap created by the pulling RG.   The LHB is pivoted to run thru the 3 hole (he is the ball carrier).

The FB is setup to run wide to the right as a decoy.

This play goes pretty good with the LHB gaining 3 yards for any touch tackle.  He got 7 yards using stop momentum tackling.

The weak spot was Rutger’s left tackle, he failed to push the defensive linemen enough which caused the O Line to have gaps. Still not bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coach Shawn said:

The weak spot was Rutger’s left tackle, he failed to push the defensive linemen enough which caused the O Line to have gaps.

WOW! 💥 In the first video the left tackle actually has a good push on the defensive tackle #2. If the Rutgers left tight end could retreat a bit and influence #78 to the outside, then the left tackle would have won that contest I believe. Like in the Tight end does in the second video. I really like that the pulling guard gets right beside the ball carrier and creates a power stack. That play is a beauty by my measure.

DOUBLE WOW! 💥💥 In the second video the Nittany Lion tight end gets a heck of a block on the red defender, but can you believe the push the tackle gets when the half back #22 hits the back of his base. Excellent example of power through stacking at the point of attack. I love this game! 🎇

Thanks for sharing your videos Coach Shawn. 😃 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:45 PM, Coach Shawn said:

Hers another trap I did earlier.  This is a trap run to the right (the 4 hole).

That’s more of a pull than a trap because the RG is holding up LDT until the LG arrives. 👍🏾7E7F5AA8-B343-4D7C-B1BC-F322176D4926.thumb.jpeg.28aeacdd30326600ff4315d391786cea.jpeg
In the EF Strategy Guide it is defined as a blocking behind its line.675A8C9A-736A-4DAB-A29B-F9C5A99B8541.thumb.jpeg.3c9f6bf596917142c543d8cb69c91958.jpeg

There’s two types of traps in EF. 
1. Pull trap.  Where the OL blocks a hole not next to it.  The contact is the leverage to move the defender.

2. Blow by trap.  The defensive player is allowed to rush upfield leaving a vacant hole its line.  The DL’s speed is used against him. 

Try a couple, let the DL through (or little resistance), then WHAM clean its clock.  FBs can do it also on off-tackle, counter running plays.  

D6D21846-1537-4876-9A97-192AFB7EC4B4.jpeg.b1385d995ae1d0f9a58049f6ebef4eaa.jpeg(This play as “43 Run Play” with the LG/LT double DT and 3 Back blocking RDE)
👍🏾

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TOEPRO Football Kit said:

There’s two types of traps in EF. 
1. Pull trap.  Where the OL blocks a hole not next to it.  The contact is the leverage to move the defender.

Thanks coach for the clarification.  Here is a video similar to what I was trying to do.

https://youtu.be/34lrk-DJn1E

I see that to be a true trap I should have left the Def lineman unblocked and let the pulling Guard hit him alone.  Still I like the extra blocking strength I get from the way the play ran.  I just need to be more accurate on my play naming.

• Like 2

Thanks TOEPRO Commissioner Kinchen for showing us the playbook you and other coaches have spent so much time creating. I'll remember to go there first in the future.

I'm guilt of confusing the Draw and the Trap. My original videos illustrate the Draw and I called the play a Trap. Mea culpa.

Coach Shawn, thanks for the link to Anatomy of a Play: Trap Play. I really enjoyed Ross Tucker's explanation.

Thank you. Enjoy the Journey. T43 😃

• Like 2