🔥Game Timing Using Number of Plays per Quarter

TOEPRO Football Kit

Here’s a great way to time your game.

Set up a fifteen-minute clock (or other time) just you would any other. 

Following a scrimmage down, free kick down or fair catch kick down, the clock will advance:

🏈 1 minute-unless following below occurred. 

🏈 15 seconds-if, following the down a:
•charged time out is called,
•forward pass is incomplete,
•SPIKE/KNEEL play down,
•penalty is accepted,
•runner goes out of bounds or 
•change of possession occurs.

🏈 None-if:
•free kick down touchback or kicking team recovery.
•Try (kick, run or pass).

If after the play results with time outs exhausted or not used and no time is left, the quarter is over.  If at 0:00 and a charged time out is used, the clock will show 0:01 and are giving one play.

This will allow for you to see a clock run down but still get in special teams play.  Also, it’s exciting for that final game-winning drive.  Great for video of solitaire games, coach-on-coach competition and it is complying with the rules football.

This is so cool that it MAYBE added to the TOEPRO Football Manual (Rule 4 of course) and to TOEPRO Football for Tudor Games Version. 
😉

I may make a chart to track the game, stats and time for video references.
Enjoy

• Like 2

Looking at the sheet, I have a question about change of possession.  Why does that take time? 

A TOD would be timed for the play that did not make the line to gain.

An interception would be like a completed pass and take 1:00

A fumble would be 1:00 just like any other running play.

Also, I would think a punt with a return would be 1:00; a punt not returned :15.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:03 AM, zak99b5 said:

Looking at the sheet, I have a question about change of possession.  Why does that take time? 

A TOD would be timed for the play that did not make the line to gain.

An interception would be like a completed pass and take 1:00

A fumble would be 1:00 just like any other running play.

Also, I would think a punt with a return would be 1:00; a punt not returned :15.

Most downs in football actually take about 15 seconds but the emphasis was on a clock-chewing, inbound ending running or passing game.  See updated chart. 👍🏾

Edited by TOEPRO Football Kit

A table of average times is a great idea. 🙂 

I use a clock with a sweep hand and a remote control off and on.

.P1030025.jpeg.4c84375a4659ed7a34e4fdfdac92eca9.jpeg

You can see the football men carrying the remote on top of their heads. 🙂 

The remote ON button turns on the wall unit which turns on the clock and the motion generator at the same time.

The remote OFF button turns off the wall unit which turns off the clock and the motion generator at the same time.

P1030023.jpeg.bbbb57475666c48e00ac1acff808fff7.jpeg

When the clock and motion generator are ON the red seconds hand on the clock counts down the time. So, for my games a quarter is 90 seconds.

P1030018.jpeg.ee09575228bf0f611791e04467fd5394.jpeg

I added the football sticker myself. A coach can find a remote control at Big Box stores. I'm not sure I should mention store names, but I've seen remote controls at nationwide hardware stores.

Make sure your electric football field switch is ON. For my Ultimate Motion Generator I use a celery rubber band (purple) to hold the squeeze trigger down. 

P1030021.jpeg.77939095fc91aef5b1a54febcb697f89.jpeg

The only time this setup doesn't work is if the coach (i.e. me) pushes the wrong button, or if the remote control battery dies.

If you have questions let me know. 🙂 

• Like 3

@blue32

In TOEPRO Football we called it board time.

CA57C391-1459-4777-A0B8-20EA72692E17.thumb.png.3a81a5451ed4c08337145d3257f824b9.png7FA2744B-309F-4A0E-871D-2C9C7B1D27F2.thumb.png.a537c01adb76ec357d58ddde9e43d529.png  I was thinking of making that very clock a board time (saw it on Amazon).  I love going BACK to the basics, with a touch of innovation. 
👍🏾

Coaches in the Swamp Dawg EFL used a dark room timer ($115 at the time 😲).  I want to use a battery operated clock and AC/DC 1.5V 

4466EFA5-72CC-4C6E-AFF3-ED79CDEE716D.thumb.jpeg.4bfa9227dad3ff82c868d32e906198e6.jpeg

I wrote about that in an “Inside TOEPRO Football” article some time ago.  Good stuff. 
D60DDF49-8017-4D93-8679-982BCFDE90B2.jpeg.8336c73ccdea3bb401956676e590505d.jpeg

I’m so glad you inspired me to get back on the wagon.

Edited by TOEPRO Football Kit
  • Like 1

You are right Kit, about the end zone timer, we hated it. 👎 We got rid of it immediately.

We consulted our fathers and they attached an outlet between the motion generator and the on/off switch. Then, we plugged a clock with a sweep hand into the outlet. When we turned the power on the clock came on. I've been playing with multiple versions of that my whole life. I paid about $15 dollars for my clock. I found them at a big box store and bought a couple. I'm not sure the advantage of a dark room clock. 

Tudor created a board game and it had to be self contained so they put clocks and speed controls in the end zone. The size of the football field was probably dictated by the average size of kitchen tables. Now that we're older, and we have whole rooms dedicated to electric football, we don't have the same restrictions that Tudor had.

In the past decade our play should have evolved, or matured, accordingly. 

Thanks for reposting the Swamp Dawg set up. 😃 I really liked it!

Thanks for the lexicon. I know your heart is in the right place but I probably won't change my vocabulary to match TOEPRO. I had enough of defining terms when I had to follow procedure manuals, build consensus at department meetings, and write annual reports. I'll just call it the game clock.

• Like 1